News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pulsar...

Started by Pierre, October 31, 2004, 12:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pierre

Hi !
...a week ago i finished the Pular clone from Tonepad and it works !!!
but the thing is that there is a volume drop with the effect on, it is more pronunceated with rate and depth at high settings, even more with the chop on...Since i never played true a Pulsar before, i dont know if this is normal or at least "tolerable"...Otherwise, the effect work nice !
...is this a stupid question ? :?: anyway, thank's

R.G.

That's just the way it works.

The Pulsar is a "tremolo-down" device; that means it does not ever amplify the signal, just decreases it from the level it has. That means that when the volume is lower than max, it's less than the signal would be if it were on all the time, and your ear (accurately) hears this as a decrease in overall volume. Other than that, the Pulsar's great.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Pierre

Thank you R.G. !
That is good news!, that means that i build it right...I mean, i started building effects a little more than 2 months ago, without any previous experience in electronics and thank's to GGG, Tonepad, Geo, Smallbear, Pisotones and this forum, im doing just fine !
Thank's again !!! :D

bioroids

Hi!

I don't notice a volume drop on my Pulsar, but I made some mods to it wich may have affected that behavior. Also I'm using electronic switching instead of true bypass, maybe that's the cause?

Anyway you can check out my mods at http://ar.geocities.com/bioroids (click on Pulsar Tremolo)

Luck!

Miguel

PS: didn't you notice LFO noise on your pedal?
Eramos tan pobres!

aaronkessman

thats why i chose the EA trem over the pulsar - built in preamp to compensate for percieved volume loss.

you could easily build a little booster to fit inside before it with a volume knob. you might have to be careful if you put it before the effect cuz you *might* overload it, but im not sure of that. if you put it after the effect you might get funny results - may have to increase the depth a bit more than you have been.

it wouldnt be hard.

puretube

imho, increasing R5 will do the trick...

Pierre

im not shure to be good enoght to do some mods...ok, maybe changing R5...
I allready builded the EA trem, and sounds really good true the clean chanel, but it looses deph with distortion...
...Im use a 3dpdt "toggle switch" for true bypass wiring, i dont need my effects for live situation, only for home sound (noise)exp.
Yes, i noticed the noise, like "ticking", but as far as i know this is "normal...
Thank's !

ps gracias Miguel !...da gusto encontrarse con un compatriota !!! :D

bioroids

Saludos desde la Argentina!

Fijate que en mi esquema la numeracion de los componentes puede estar diferente a Tonepad.

(In my schematic the labeling of components may be different to that of Tonepad)

Luck

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

Pierre

gracias loco !! (thank you crazy !!)
voy a construir una segunda version usando tus modificaciones (im going to build a second version with your mods)...

Que dificil escribir en ingles! (my english sucks!)

bioroids

Por donde andas, loco? Dice location Bruselas en tu descripcion

Ojo que mi esquema esta preparado para usar con un simple SPDT, pero no seria True Bypass (usando las salidas Wet para el effecto y Dry para el bypass)

Saludos

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

Pierre

Si, efectivamente estoy en Bruselas, hace (hoy mismo) 4 años que vivo aqui...PERO SOY ARGENTINO !!!!
gracias por los datos, aunque recien empiezo en esto, todo me sirve para aprender.
...digo, no se enojaran que escribimos en castellano...? :wink:

Gringo

No pasa nada Pierre ;)
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

Pierre

...increible...pensé que estaba solo... :D  :D  :D

RDV

puretube

yo no soy marinero, soy capitan...
:?  :shock:  :x  :?:

bioroids

He is an Argentinian (is that a word?) living in Brussels.. lucky him!!

Regards

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!