Am I thinking about this correctly? Tremulus lune mod LFO

Started by moogatroid2000, November 02, 2004, 01:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moogatroid2000

I have built a Tremulus Lune and have it wired to my breadboard for twekaning before boxing. I am implementing both extra LFO's. One is just a second LFO in series with the first, but the second is used to modulate the speed of the main LFO.
Everything is working just fine but I read a thread at commonsound about a mod for limiting the 'top speed' when using the LFO to modulate speed.
Quoted from here http://commonsound.org/fud/index.php?t=msg&goto=109&S=26fef13b51d373035aaf7e5b4663acb4#msg_109
"You could also add a potentiometer in series with the LED to control its brightness. That would effectively limit the top speed of the tremolo when in auxilliary mode. Another way to look at it: Three pots, labeled "low speed", "sweep rate", and "high speed".

Now looking at this diagram
could someone tell me, am correct in thinking that the yellow highlited resistor is the only one in series, and therefore about where I should add a pot for limiting the LED's brightness?
All the others seem to be in parallel, correct?
Also, I know the "sweep rate" mentioned above is the speed control of this aux LFO, and the "high speed" is the mod we are already discussing but I am unclear, is the "low speed" in reference to the depth control of this aux LFO, or is it another mod altogether?
Here is a description from Dann Green at the commonsound.org forum about the extra LFO's.
http://commonsound.org/fud/index.php?t=msg&th=37&start=0&S=26fef13b51d373035aaf7e5b4663acb4

Well I am sorry for such a long winded post but yesterday I spent hours researching and trying things with my breadboard. Usually this is something I could play with and figure out using my ears but with the speed fluctuating up, and down, up, and down, I became less sure as time went on.
Thanks for any scrap of help with this!!!
BTW I cannot stress enough how awesome this trem sounds. I used to own a VDV, I also used to miss it a whole lot. I don't seem to miss it much at all right now. The added controls and LFO's just make this a really fun build. It can be simple, warm and natural, or it can be crazy.
If you haven't yet, check out the commonsound!! http://commonsound.org/
live and learn.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

moogatroid2000

That is what I was thinking at first, then I started thinking about the depth control and somehow got it in my head that it wasn't.
Wouldn't that be the current limiting resistor like in a mutron?
If it is I think that it's the one I want for sure.
Many thanks Paul!!!
:D
live and learn.

moogatroid2000

That's the one!  :D  Thanks again. That was my first suspect but for some reason the more I kept thinkng about things the more they slipped away. Also that resistor does affect the slower speed too so I wasn't able to pick up on it. I was looking for a top speed shift only. Using the depth and speed control of the aux LFO I am using I am able to tweak it into just about everything I am looking to get from it. Of course it does seem to pick up faster than it slows down. I was curious if a ramp up/down is possible on the speed control of this LFO? I guess I shoudld give it a try even though it probably doesn't work that way. It would be neat to control over the symetry of the up and down shifting.
Thanks again for the help. I think I am ready to box this one and put it to use.  :D  :D  :D
live and learn.

moogatroid2000

Just thought I'd report that using a symmetry or ramp up/down mod on the modulating LFO worked like a charm!!!
Drat! now I need to drill yet another hole, 13 and counting!!  :shock:
live and learn.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: moogatroid2000LFO worked like a charm!!!
Drat! now I need to drill yet another hole, 13 and counting!!  :shock:

Just think, if we were in a gravity-free environment, we could put knobs UNDERNEATH our Commonsound pedals as well... :D