need heavy distortion...

Started by ketchup, November 03, 2004, 09:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ketchup

i need schmatics for heavy distortion pedals, can anyone help me ???
i have been looking for line6's uber metal schematics, but i have had no luck finding it...

jrc4558

Hey, wazup!
UberMetal is a relatively new product so you won't find schematics anywhere anyway, attemts are futile.

Heavy distortion, hm...

Dimebag Darrel heavy or say Dave Mustaine heavy?

Then build a Metal Zone (although it's pretty complex), it will give you good control over the frequency ranges and all that EQ stuff.

Wanna keep it simple? Build a Dist+, increase the value of the input capacitor and use it before your amplifier as an add-on to the Drive channel of the amp.
Apparently that's how almost all "big guys" do it.

brett

The Blackfire is a high-gain wild thing! :wink:
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

audioguy

The Obsidian- hands down! This 2 knobed monster can get as heavy as you want.

RDV

Marcos - Munky

ketchup

Constantin Necrasov

i already own a metal zone, i think its pretty cool but i've had it for a long time and i am just looking for some new distortion...  and what should be the value for the input capacitor on the dist+ ? any suggestions ?

audioguy

where do i find the schematics for the obsidian ?

thanks for the help guys !!!

RDV

Last night at rehearsal I was using the HMP Lite into my old Peavey Bandit 65 and getting the sound on U2's "Vertigo" exactly! Great song!

RDV

ketchup

i am looking for heavy distortion that will sound good with low tuning, maybe like fear factory or meshuggah, my guitar is downtuned to a Bb... i was thinking about the sasnamp gt2, but i am open to any suggestions, please feel free to comment in any way...

thanks a bunch...

Marcos - Munky

Build the transistor Obsidian, and use a 7-string set of strings, without the higher E string. Email-me for the schematic.

ketchup

RDV

how heavy a distortion can i get from the hmp lite ??? and what's a good ic to use for that ???

jrc4558

Oh, u want something for Bflat...

Try Obsidian.

RDV

Quote from: ketchup...how heavy a distortion can i get from the hmp lite ??? and what's a good ic to use for that ???
It can get quite heavy, it also has a lot of low-end, and can be modded for even more if needed. I've got a RC4558 in mine right now.

RDV

RDV

Just wanted to say I updated the project file(above) to the latest version.

RDV

Mark Hammer

1) As noted, the new Line 6 Ubermetal actually IS new and was being beta-tested prior to release as recently as August.  Why you would expect to find schematics for something that is all of 2 months old is beyond me.  If it was so susceptible to damage that people were already requesting schematics for repair purposes, I'm not so sure you'd WANT to attempt cloning.  Note as well that it is a *digital* pedal, and not at all the sort of thing you could build.  That means don't bother looking for a schem even a year from now.

2) I'm not sure that anyone really "NEEDS" heavy distortion, but that's another matter.

3) There is not a fuzz/overdrive pedal in existence that can NOT be made to produce "heavier" distortion by simply being fed a hotter signal.  Doesn't matter what you own or borrow or build.  Stick a booster or anything else ahead of it that gooses the level, and you will instantly derive buzzier buzz from the pedal.  Whether it is the right character of buzz is another again, but whatever sort of buzz it produces will be in greater quantity with some pre-boost.  Ricky Vance's design is simple and very flexible, uses common parts, and is tailored to doing what fuzz lovers love.  Worth taking a shot at.

STOMPmole

"2) I'm not sure that anyone really "NEEDS" heavy distortion, but that's another matter. "

That's a good point.  During my metal years I quickly learned that if you want to sound like a wimp, use heavy distortion.  It's strange, but massive amounts of gain actually tend to sound smoother and less distorted than a crunchy overdrive.  A lighter distortion also seems to record "heavier" where a heavy distortion seems to sound more clean on tape.  Of course, if your playing sucks and you need to smooth out the slop I guess heavy distortion is the only solution.

I also find it strange that these "nu-metal" guys that use dropped tunings and play thrashy speed ryhthms seem to want bassy muddy sounding distortions with massive overdrive.  IMO you'd be better off going with a light overdrive and a slight treble boost to avoid muddines and increase note definition and crunch.

As for the MXR Dist+ input cap, I'd recommend a 0.1uF.

ketchup

RDV

hey dude, i was looking through your website and i saw the heavy metal pedal do you think it might be what i am looking for ? could i possibly get the schematics for it ?

thanks

RDV

Quote from: ketchupRDV

hey dude, i was looking through your website and i saw the heavy metal pedal do you think it might be what i am looking for ? could i possibly get the schematics for it ?

thanks
HMP = Heavy Metal Pedal
The "Lite" version simply leaves out the parametric EQ.