Finished Tim Escobedo's Triple Fuzz

Started by Rodgre, November 03, 2004, 11:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodgre

I'm loving this circuit. I've put it in a cool brushed aluminum - overcoated with transparent red box (I'll post a photo later this week).

It's a great fuzz which loves to go into a Plexi. It's a little bright for a Twin (those are the only two amps I've tried so far.) It sounds gargantuan through the Marshall. At medium gain, with a Jazzmaster, it's crunchy and meaty sounding. At full gain, it gets splatty and squishy in a most fantastic way. It has the overall vibe of a 60's fuzzbox, with the artifacts you get with an octafuzz at extreme gain settings. I would put it somewhere between a silicon Fuzz Face and a Superfuzz in tone.

It's another brilliant and simple circuit. I built it in about an hour. The only drawback, besides it not sounding as great through the Twin, is that it can be a little noisy (maybe just mine) but I think the key with this is that you're playing it... so you don't hear the noise.

Roger

b_rogers

the tripple is a fun pedal..you can play with lowering the 5M resistors value a little for even more fun. i think i left the diodes off too..

i like all of tims stuff ive built.

Brent
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

jmusser

I'm glad it came out well for you. I've been on vacation this week and it's been raining, so I've been building some of his stuff. Bronx Cheer, Jinx, Phuncgnosis. I believe the Bronx Cheer has more growl to it than any fuzz I've built so far, plus it has the fizz "aftertaste' which is cool. I have the Jawari and TMK on the back burner waiting for a couple parts. I may build his little Octup circuit in the morning, just to see what it sounds like. I need to stop the circuit building part and get the things in boxes though!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Rodgre

Here it is. The photo doesn't do the brushed look justice, but you get the idea.

Roger

Marcos - Munky

RDV

1590S? I seem to remember seeing your 'handle' on the purchase list when I bought mine off ebay. I wish they'd get some more in!

RDV

Rodgre

Quote from: RDV1590S? I seem to remember seeing your 'handle' on the purchase list when I bought mine off ebay. I wish they'd get some more in!

RDV

Yep. I love those boxes. great size for those in-between circuits (though I easily could have fit the Triple in a smaller box)

The finish was a happy accident actually, I used a sanding disc on a dremel tool and just went in semi-random patterns along the face. After a minute or so, you can feel the disc starting to bend a little and you figure out how much pressure to apply to get it to swirl nicely. I ended up going through about five discs before I was done - they kept ripping on me.  I then overcoated it with two coats of Testors Candy Apple Red Transparent, baked for about 45 minutes at 200 or 250 between coats. I'm still debating on whether to do a final flattening wet sanding job to take out the orange peel, which I think will make the texture come out stronger, but I'm afraid to ruin it at this point.... Next time I'll do the wet sanding and whatnot.

Roger

Ge_Whiz

I told you guys the Tripple was good. Just boxing mine up now.

ryanscissorhands

Rodgre - what kind of paint did you use that let the brushed finish show through? You wouldn't be able to use a primer because the aluminum shows through, so how durable does the paint seem to be?

I say this because I want to do it to my own, once I finally box up my beginner project. That looks awesome!

Rodgre

Quote from: ryanscissorhandsRodgre - what kind of paint did you use that let the brushed finish show through? You wouldn't be able to use a primer because the aluminum shows through, so how durable does the paint seem to be?

I say this because I want to do it to my own, once I finally box up my beginner project. That looks awesome!

I use transparent candy colors. I used to get them from an autobody supply store but now I'm using Testors spray paints. I have red, grape, green and blue transparent colors that I've used on pedals. So obviously I didn't use a primer. I'm a little concerned about that but I'm hoping the finish is as durable as anything else I've tried. I figure the fact that the surface is sanded as it is gives me a leg up. If it makes a difference, I painted light dusting and baked it while the paint was still wet, hoping it would dig in a little more. We'll see. I always have issues with boxes getting scratched after a while anyway. I've never tried etching primer....

As for transparent colors though, if you have a simple airbrush setup (I bought a Badger clone a few months ago at a dollar store for $10! but I have several other airbrushes going way back...) you can spray anything onto your boxes, including transparent colors that you can buy at hobby shops.

Roger

petemoore

wWOWw
 I would further testing with that type of finish on a box bottom before considering doing anything to that box. It looks superb 1!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brian wenz

Hello Hello Rodgre or Anybody--
  Would you rate the output [volume] and amount of distortion as the same [or less or more...] as a Fuzz Face type circuit??
Thanks.
Brian.

Rodgre

I would say it has a ton of output. More than a Fuzz Face. The amount of distortion can get pretty heavy, though at full out, it gets splatty and kind of Superfuzz sounding. It has a lot of useful tones. Check out the soundclip link on Tim's site.

Roger

brian wenz

Hello Everybody--
       See other thread!!
 Finally got Version III going!
I'm really appreciating these circuits that use PNP and NPN trannys........gotta look into these types of circuits some more.
Thanks--
Brian.