Zero Ohm resistors

Started by Phorhas, November 06, 2004, 04:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorhas

How are zero ohm resistors better than just simple tin jumpers?
Electron Pusher

KarbonHed

They're used in machine assembled boards so that the machines have something the same size as resistors to grab rather than small wire links.

stm

KarbonHed is right.

But don't disregard that 0 ohms resistors are good candidates for mojo stuff in a pedal!  :lol:

KarbonHed

Quote from: stmBut don't disregard that 0 ohms resistors are good candidates for mojo stuff in a pedal!  :lol:

Especially if you get some vinatge ones, the old ones always sound better  lol :D

stm

Yes, NOS (new old stock) components always carry EXTRA MOJO.  :wink:

Fret Wire

Like everyone said, no difference at all. I use them because I got 1000 for a penny apiece. Otherwise, I'd use clipped off resistor leads.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Nasse

Lots quicker to take zero ohm from strip than find a suitable wire, what color, what´s the lenght, strip the insulation both ends, oops cutted too deep, make another, twist the ends, apply some tin, I forget where should I connect it...

It is convenient when breadboarding, and for wire links
  • SUPPORTER

stm

Nasse, I've never though seriously in using them, but you mention some good points which make me consider buying a hundred due to the convenience of making bridges and quick connections.

Torchy

I have also seen zero-ohm resistors camouflaged with a 1meg colour code used in some older booteek pedals to throw off RE. If you order enough, you can get zero-ohms marked as any value you like  :evil:

Hal

They work well for going over wires on perf.  I dont use them myself, but i know that using insulated wire on teh bottom is annoying....when its small, and the insulation melts....etc.

Phorhas

Yeap... another MOJOfied-money sucking gizmo
Electron Pusher

Narcosynthesis

i never knew you got zero ohm resisters...

i want to get hold of a load of them, so i can make any pedal i make look insanely complicated by using resisters instead of jumper wires... pointless but amusing

David

KarbonHed

Quote from: Narcosynthesisi never knew you got zero ohm resisters...

i want to get hold of a load of them, so i can make any pedal i make look insanely complicated by using resisters instead of jumper wires... pointless but amusing

David

Paint cryptic symbols and numbers on them to make it look real strange. And cover a bunch of them in epoxy for extra booteek points. :twisted:

guitarhacknoise

chuck up one lead of the resistor and apply a pinstripe brush as you spin the chuck, make it read as an odd value resister.
I've heard this was one of the earlier interfax tricks, not that i believe it but................
-matthias
"It'll never work."

R.G.

Try reading "Dirty Tricks 101" at GEO.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

coreybox

does mouser carry these?

sir_modulus

No mouser does not stock them.

Nish