Purple Platypus guts: strangely familiar.

Started by bobbletrox, November 09, 2004, 12:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbletrox

I thought I'd quickly drop by and post this interesting (I thought so) tidbit I just came across.  You may remember that the Red Llama PCB had a bunch of extra space on it that looked like it could be for a Jordon Bosstone style circuit.  Well...if you look at this picture, the Purple Platypus PCB is in the top right corner, the Red Llama in the left, and the bottom is a closeup of the values:

The Purple Platypus is a Tube Sound Fuzz/Red Llama mixed with...something.

Alpha579

dum dum dum....
hmmm...what could it be?...
Alex Fiddes

bobbletrox

I always thought the Purple Platypus was a Octavia/Octave Face style circuit, but that combination of 4049 + two transistors with clipping diodes doesn't look like anything I've seen before.

Jason M.

I posted something about this a while back when we were discussing the Red Llama.

I had a Red Llama and traced out the whole thing using the values printed on the board for the missing components.

It is a Tube Sound Fuzz into what looks A LOT like a Green Ringer.
There are a couple of offboard connections that I couldn't figure out.

Please post a full pic of the inside and/or any other details like transistor types.

I'll be glad to share what I've found once I have the complete circuit.

Thanks.
J.

bobbletrox

Sorry to disappoint you Jason, but the pic is just from someone's eBay auction:

The PCB looks like it's wired up exactly the same way as the Red Llama.

Hal

is it that effect that we figured out the DIP is a transistor array?

bobbletrox

Nope, that was the Swollen Pickle.  The Red Llama is a tweaked Tube Sound Fuzz based on a 4049 hex inverter.  You can find the schematic by doing a search on the messageboard.

petemoore

Is that the UBE or unbuffered chip that can't be found easily?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bobbletrox

It's the unbuffered version.  I found that out the hard way  :oops:

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: petemooreIs that the UBE or unbuffered chip that can't be found easily?

The 4069UBE is easily found at www.smallbearelec.com  :D (45 cents)

brett

4069 and 4049UBEs can be found at DSE and Jaycar, too.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)