Marc Bolan and his Dallas Rangemaster (1972 photo album)

Started by hair force one, November 09, 2004, 07:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hair force one

Here is a delightfull link that leads to some rarely seen photos : a rockstar handles out one of his favourite effect box and carefully puts on top of the studio's amplification cabinets.

I luv T-Rex and thinks Marc was somewhat very trebly in his guitar sound as in his voice (as long as Mickey Finn's hyper-high backing vocals...) but he is rarely reported as a great effect user althought he has used them in such a special way.

Anyone knows more about his effect rig?

http://www.angel.dk/bolan/BOLANoversSTUDIO.html (second row from top - 4 photos)

bobbletrox

Hi Stéphane!  I recieved your red boxx in the mail yesterday and I love it.  Keep up the great work!

And speaking of Marc Bolan, I see you're working on a Rangemaster style boxx too - cool  8)

hair force one

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
    Bolan used a Colorsound Overdrive on a regular basis, too.
Brian.

DDD

hair force one,
thanks for the link.
I'm a GREAT fun of T.Rex and Marc Bolan, but I have to say his guitar sound is not impressive. Original - yes, but IMO not impressive at all.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

Jim Jones

I have to disagree DDD - "Electric Warrior" and "The Slider" are crammed full of good guitar tone in my opinion.

Jim

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
    I forgot to mention about the neck on his late 50's Les Paul Standard.
The guitar was in an accident and the original neck was replaced with a Les Paul Custom neck [block inlays, ebony fingerboard,  "Custom" headstock inlays...]
Brian.

petemoore

Well when your'e that good looking, sounding, and acting,  Have great Tone, driving rythms and a super cool vibe can go a long long wayz.
 When I first heard the song 'Bang a Gong', I thought, that's so simple, anyone could have thought of it, but I've since figured out even though it's 'simple' it's not that simple...Cheerz Tommy !!!
 Everybody I knew copped a similar, and very likable buzz when first hearing that song  :D  !
 Sometimes the simplest things get all the accolades.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

nightingale

thanks for the link hair~
marc bolan was the man. i even get into his early tyrannosaurus rex beard of stars/unicorn hippy freakout stuff.. [pre-electric]..
~ry
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Ben N

Trebly?  Well, if that Tele was his, and he was running it throuigh a Rangemaster into a DSR, heck yeah!  BTW, anybody know what that rack item was on top of the DSR?

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

bwanasonic

Quote from: Ben NTrebly?  Well, if that Tele was his, and he was running it throuigh a Rangemaster into a DSR, heck yeah!  BTW, anybody know what that rack item was on top of the DSR?

Also seems to be an assortment of gadgets down around Marc's knees. Note the Rangemaster is plugged into that rack thingy and not the DS. Too bad it's not like those TV shows where we can just say "computer, enhance", and read the front panel!  :roll:

Kerry M

Burstbucker

Electric Warrior was the first real adult type of rock & roll record that I bought, it was a big step up from The Monkees, I was 11 or 12 years old at the time.

I loved that album, I thought that "Jeepster" rocked!!!   8^)

hair force one

Quotehis guitar sound is not impressive
perhaps its because there's often a rack of four "string quartet" and a bunch of Sax-O'-Phones doing the same guitar's part whenever T-rex is played in a stereo equiped room!  

QuoteBolan used a Colorsound Overdrive on a regular basis, too.
thanks i'll try this one on my board....

Marc Bolan's lyrics could make some could stompboxes name too:

Metal Guru, Jungle Faced Jake (that sounnds like a fuzzy one), Golden No(i)se Slim, Purple Pie Pete, Spaceball Ricochet , Baby Boumerang, Vampiritor, etc...

brian wenz

Hello Hello Hairforce--
   Yeah, use BC184 trannys and you'll have one of the best overdrive-booster boxes around!
Brian.