True bypass a BOSS pedal (w/pix 56k warning)

Started by cd, November 09, 2004, 03:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cd

First of all, thanks to transmogrifox and Philip Bryant!  Without their info this project would not have been possible.

This question comes up a lot.  How do I true bypass a BOSS pedal?  Answer(s):

- you can't
- you can't stuff a DPDT switch in there
- don't bother putting one in, the buffer is high quality and sounds good
- don't bother putting one in, just build an external TB box with four switches and a jack etc.
- you're an idiot, BOSS pedals rock why would you want to mess one up

Alrighty then!  Well, I had an SD-1 lying around so I decided to mod it to "another pedal" specs.  "Another pedal" is true bypass, so I figured I'd go whole hog and change the whole thing.  SO, here's a pic of a BOSS pedal with true bypass:

I know what you're thinking: HUH?  That's just a regular SD-1, it's not true bypass.  Well, let's open up the battery hatch and see what's in there, shall we?  HMMMM, did CD manage to stuff a DPDT in there?!?!?!!

OH.  That was a bit underwhelming.  There's no DPDT in there, it's just a regular SD-1.  Which isn't true bypass.  Well, you're right.  That's the stock BOSS switch in there.  So I didn't manage to stuff a DPDT in there.  But I thought it was a BOSS pedal with true bypass.  What did you do to the insides then?  OK, here's the last pic:

On the bottom right you can see the small bit of perfboard that houses a latching relay and the associated control circuitry.  The relay is a DPDT which is used for TRUE BYPASS.  Since it's a single coil, latching type relay, battery drain is minimal (even though I use a power adapter exclusively).  Two opamps are used to drive the relay (circuit by transmogrifox - search for "latching relay" and a website with a link will pop up with the schematic).  I used the stock BOSS flip flop as a latch to control the relay, so the momentary switch is left in place, as is the stock BOSS indicator LED.  The whole thing works beautifully, with a tiny tiny bit of switching noise - nothing you wouldn't experience from a regular 3PDT though.

At first I thought I would rewire the stock BOSS switching FETs to a "Clinton Bypass" (see GEOFEX) since the FETs are already there, and FETs are good at that.  When I opened up the pedal there was a lot of room so I thought if I'm going to rewire the damned thing, I might as well get rid of the FETs and go real TB with a relay.  It took a bit of shoehorning in - the relay perfboard is a smidge too tall which made the backplate a bit tough to get on.

It would have been MUCH easier to use a 2 coil latching relay, that way you could use the latching relay driver on GEOFEX - but I couldn't find any locally so I went with the single coil.  Thanks to transmogrifox for his relay driver circuit, and Philip Bryant for his excellent SD-1 schematic - without it I would have probably went blind figuring out all the connections.

I don't have the time or inclination to post up a full tutorial on this mod (and I don't want to help the commercial modders), but all of the relevant info can be found at the usual places: searching the forum, GEOFEX, Google, etc.

Hal

sweet idea.  Where'd u get the relay/how much can they be had for?

cd

I got the relay at a local store, cost was $2.  You can get them at all the usual places though, Mouser, Digikey, etc.  The relay I used was a 5V, single coil latching relay.  You'll want to get one that is low profile (5mm or shorter).  I used a socket for the relay so it's actually about half as high as it looks.

Gilles C

Nice job!

I like it because you didn't modified the box, so it looks original. And I like to keep the feeling of a Boss pedal even when modified. And you kept it.

Gilles

dubs

That's very cool!
Apparently  you can true bypass boss pedals. I saw a pic that someone removed the top of a blue 3pdt footswitch and drilled the hole larger where boss one is to fit the footswitch..

Kleber AG

I'm not the one who posted the pictures, but after looking that pics I did it to my Boss Delay, removed the top of the switch, sanded for lowering the height...
BTW: You don't need to drill a bigger size hole for the 3pdt !!!
Now my Boss Delay makes "clank" :D  when I switch on or off!!!

Works nice, I've been giging with it and it's perfect!!!

Search the archives, now I can't remember all the details, but it's on the archives for sure.

Kleber AG

syzygy

cd,

Where did you connect your relay into the flip flop circuit?  I have a schematic from Phillip, too.

Thanks!

cd

Quote from: syzygycd,

Where did you connect your relay into the flip flop circuit?  I have a schematic from Phillip, too.

Thanks!

The flip flop is used as a switch to signal the relay driver to turn on/off.

Roberto

nice.    

I designed a small and simple circuit that can translate the internal BOSS flip-flop collector voltages into pulses (few mS) well suited for drive a two coils latching relay. Basically is a high impedance input buffer, a differentiator  and a driver for each coil.

this is the PCB version:    

and this is the really small version (some boss pedals don't have too much free space): :lol:
[

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

wui223

Quote from: Robertonice.    

I designed a small and simple circuit that can translate the internal BOSS flip-flop collector voltages into pulses (few mS) well suited for drive a two coils latching relay. Basically is a high impedance input buffer, a differentiator  and a driver for each coil.

can u post the schematic to share with us?

petemoore

Slick !!!
 IIRC There was some demand for that kind of thing.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Freddy205

That is brilliant Roberto. I would also like to see the schematic for that. I have a bunch of boss pedals I'd like to true bypass.

Roberto

Thanks. I'll try to post the schematics tonight.
[

syzygy

Roberto,

Looks awesome!  Very james bond.  Where did you get the ..ehh.. red electrical condom?  :shock:

syzygy

Melanhead

Quote from: RobertoThanks. I'll try to post the schematics tonight.

That would be much appreciated ...

Bernardduur

Quote from: syzygyRoberto,

Looks awesome!  Very james bond.  Where did you get the ..ehh.. red electrical condom?  :shock:

syzygy

I would guess a red shrink tube; can be bought here everywhere
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

Roberto

Yes is  shrink tube.

This is the schematic:  

and this is the internal boss flip-flop where the inputs are connected:

[

Melanhead

Bernardduur

Yes, thank you! Will try it soon on my Boss pedals.
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account