True bypass a BOSS pedal (w/pix 56k warning)

Started by cd, November 09, 2004, 03:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernardduur

Hmmmmm, I've read the schematic of the Boss RV-3 and I guess this can't be true bypassed this way.........
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

John Egerton

I true bypassed my rv3 by installing a 3pdt inside the casing...

Filing the head of the switch allows you to make the pedal 'look' like a regular boss pedal untill you tap it and notice the click....

However... The damn thing pops
Save a cow... Eat a Vegetarian.........

Steben

Quote from: Roberto on August 30, 2005, 05:45:03 PM
This is the schematic:  

I was looking at this and found myself trying to find a way making with this circuit a fuzz box... :o ;D
That's an odd experience...
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Steben

Quote from: John Egerton on October 21, 2005, 05:20:57 AM
I true bypassed my rv3 by installing a 3pdt inside the casing...

Filing the head of the switch allows you to make the pedal 'look' like a regular boss pedal untill you tap it and notice the click....

However... The damn thing pops

Resistor loads anyone?...
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

John Egerton

I've tried 1 meg pulldowns but it still pops...
Save a cow... Eat a Vegetarian.........

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

wui223

My approach to true bypass is a small DPDT installed at the place where the original momonetary switch located. Then i add a bypass circuit for the status LED. The DPDT switch is in similar height to the momentary switch so i can step on the pedal to ON-BYPASS it like usual

no one ever

This would make one AMAZINGLY popular project, I think... Tonepad? GGG? ROG? Fuzzcentral?

...i'm a beginner, i need babysteps  :icon_mrgreen:
(chk chk chk)

Jaicen_solo

This is BRILLIANT!! I have to say, i've never really had a problem with the input buffers on Boss pedals, since I have the one and only one worth owning (DD-3), but I guess if you have a couple it might improve the signal chain a lot. Would this be worth it, or even possible with a DD-3?? I'm guessing there's not a lot of real-estate inside that little case ;)

Paul Marossy

no one ever

....is asking for layouts (standard pcb) against a forum rule? because MAN would i love one.
(chk chk chk)

cd

Quote from: no one ever on November 06, 2005, 05:08:10 PM
This would make one AMAZINGLY popular project, I think... Tonepad? GGG? ROG? Fuzzcentral?

...i'm a beginner, i need babysteps  :icon_mrgreen:

All the information you need is in this thread.  Not to sound like a complete d*ckhead, but this is not a beginner's project - if you need step by step instructions, I strongly suggest working on other simpler projects first.  There's far too many things to debug and go wrong, or just not work for no apparent reason.  For example, relay coil noise that won't go away no matter what you do.

At the very least, for a project of this sort to go smoothly you should be able to trace the signal path of an effect WITHOUT a schematic (though one helps) as well as build a complete working effect from scratch with little/no help.

no one ever

Quote from: cd on November 07, 2005, 11:10:44 PM

All the information you need is in this thread.  Not to sound like a complete d*ckhead, but this is not a beginner's project - if you need step by step instructions, I strongly suggest working on other simpler projects first.  There's far too many things to debug and go wrong, or just not work for no apparent reason.  For example, relay coil noise that won't go away no matter what you do.

At the very least, for a project of this sort to go smoothly you should be able to trace the signal path of an effect WITHOUT a schematic (though one helps) as well as build a complete working effect from scratch with little/no help.

.. ok then, i'll assemble my own layout and such.
(chk chk chk)

Paul Marossy

QuoteWould this be worth it, or even possible with a DD-3?? I'm guessing there's not a lot of real-estate inside that little case

AFAIK, all Boss pedals use the same bypass switching scheme. Therefore, it ought to work on a DD-3 just as well.

Roberto

QuoteFor example, relay coil noise that won't go away no matter what you do.

Yes, that's a problem. The power supply for the realys circuit must be decoupled (RC filter, I use 100 ohm / 22uF... that filter don't appear in the schematics that I drew).  Anyway, as you say,  some "pop" coil noise are always present, even powering the switching circuit with a separate power supply.

[

cd

Quote from: Paul Marossy on November 08, 2005, 03:13:53 PM
QuoteWould this be worth it, or even possible with a DD-3?? I'm guessing there's not a lot of real-estate inside that little case

AFAIK, all Boss pedals use the same bypass switching scheme. Therefore, it ought to work on a DD-3 just as well.

That's halfway right - virtually all BOSS pedals use the same momentary switch with flip flop which controls FETs, however the placement of those FETs and the routing of the bypass signal varies.  In the SD-1, the FETs switch out the OD section.  In the DS-1, same thing except with an added mute.  In the DD-3, it's simpler, only the wet signal is disabled yet the signal still goes through the pre-emphasis/de-emphasis circuit.  etc. etc.

Paul Marossy

Quotevirtually all BOSS pedals use the same momentary switch with flip flop which controls FETs, however the placement of those FETs and the routing of the bypass signal varies.

That's basically what I was getting at.  :icon_wink:

no one ever

does this use the low sensitivity omron relays?
(chk chk chk)

pswoods

That is so great! I didn't know there was such a thing as latching relays. If I'd known that I wouldn't have given up (temporarily) on my ultra-low-tech remote switching project. I'm just getting started with electronics, and this is such a gas - so useful.

This has been my approach to retrofitting Boss type pedals: "Hulk SMAAASH bypass! Grrrrrr."

LOL - I'm so not clever... I'm getting really good with a Dremel cutting disc, tho.

moandj

How the hell did you mount the switch?

I just took my TS-5 and put it into another enclosure (Hammond 1590BB) and changed a few things around to make it true bypass (with much help from cd).  I figured the cheapo plastic case would break sooner or later.  It was a major pain in the arse for my 1st project, but I learned a lot.