LED problem. Can somebody explain this?

Started by Burstbucker, November 09, 2004, 10:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burstbucker

I built a Treble Booster about a month ago and it worked great but all of a sudden the LED wasn't coming on.  The first thing that I suspected was a faulty 3PDT stompswitch but it turns out that the switch wasn't the problem after all.

With the pedal on, I wasn't getting any voltage on the two legs of the LED but I was getting the full 9V on the current limiting resistor, a 3.6k resistor. Before this problem cropped up, I found that the LED was sufficiantly bright and the total current draw of the pedal was only appx. 2mA.

So I thought that maybe I had an open resistor but that checked out ok.

Here's where things get a little weird, I decided to take a jumper wire and bypass the current limiting resistor for just an instant, then all of a sudden the LED is working fine again, like it did originaly.

Afterwords, I took out the 3.6k resistor and replaced it with a 1.8k which is what I usually use and have never had a problem. The pedal now draws about 3.6 mA which is totally acceptable.

So, it seems to me that the LED had shorted out and when I put the full 9v on it, it somehow reset itself?  Could this have been caused by too low a voltage on the LED initially or is this LED garbage?  I've never seen this before, any thoughts?

Gilles C

QuoteHere's where things get a little weird, I decided to take a jumper wire and bypass the current limiting resistor for just an instant, then all of a sudden the LED is working fine again, like it did originaly.

The last time I connected a LED directly to 9V, very shortly and by mistake...  :shock: , it burned right away.

So if yours is still working, I am wondering if you have some resistance in series somewhere in the path. That would explain it. Or a resistive contact at the switch.

Or maybe that it's onlt that I wasn't lucky or fast enough and you were...

You could measure the current flowing through the resistor with a meter, and compare it with what it gives you when you check the voltage between the 2 legs of the resistor.

(V/R=I) should equal (I) measured.

Gilles

brett

Have you got 7V across the 1.8k resistor?  If not, there's some extra resistance in the path.  (Assuming the battery = 9V and it's a red (2V)LED (9-2=7)).  LEDs blow quickly when forward biased with 9V  :twisted:

good luck
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

niftydog

I can't explain it, but LEDs are just diodes essentially, and a low forward voltage on a diode results in a high resistance path. I guess it's conceivable that there was some miniscule short circuit path between anode and cathode and a blast of high current burnt it away...

Happens in TV tubes all the time, but they're TUBES not semis!

spooky.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Mike Burgundy

I have also seen LED's that were dead "light" on high voltages: you're using the gold wire that connects the top of the die to ine of the legs as a filament. Not for very long, though...