Arion Sfl-1 Flanger reverse phase problem

Started by SnooP_Wiggles, November 10, 2004, 05:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnooP_Wiggles

Anyone know anything about this pedal? because i noticed something about it, mine doesn't sound like a usual flanger. It sounds similar to my zoom gfx-4 flanger effect on reversed/negative phase. Does anyone have an idea of how to mod the pedal so it flanges in normal phase. negative phase, while sounding fine for chorus stuff it means the 'jet plane' kinda sound can't be done. Any help at all would be a appreciated

SnooP_Wiggles

Bump. Can anyone help (even slightly), As a last resort i could draw a schematic but thats a huge time hog....

Johnny Guitar

I can't help here (sorry) but I have one which was missing the batt cover when I bought it at a pawn shop for about $10 - $15 about ten years ago.

I quickly noticed it sounded crappy, especially compared to my MXR flanger. I only use it for the rather fast shallow kind of flanging but I still don't like it.

I did a search about a month ago and saw all these rave reviews of it at Harmony Central  :roll: .

Since then it occurred to me that it may be important to use it in stereo and not just use the mono out jack. You might try that. Even plugging both jacks into the same amp might bring back some of the woosh.

I hope others know about this one.
John

SnooP_Wiggles

This might help a bit. Ive posted a soundfile. The first bit is the arion sfl-1. The next bit is zoom gfx-4 flanger on reverse phase, and the last bit is zoom gfx-4 flanger on normal phase. See what i'm getting at?
http://uploads.savefile.com/redir/27978.mp3

So if anyone has any ideas on how to bypass the bit that reverses the phase of the flanger, they would be greatly appreciated. By the way the pedal looks to be a standard BBD based flanger.

signal path:
fender strat --> ds1 seeing eye --> sd1 ge (minus ge diode) --> zoom gfx-4 (eq, flanger,  reverb)  --> audigy2

Mark Hammer

Several ways to invert.  One is inversion of the regen/feedback signal.  Another involves sending the wet signal to the mixer stage where it can be added or subtracted from the original (e.g., many "stereo" pedals will provide add output at one jack and subtract at the other).  In some instances the regen/feedback signal is tapped and fed back BEFORE it is combined with the dry signal.  In other instances the feedback is the wet+dry signal.

Long story short, there are several ways in which the delay signal in your pedal may need to be rerouted to produce the sound you want.  Important to know more about what's going on in order to make a relevant suggestion.

SnooP_Wiggles

sounds like i'll need to draw up a schematic damn!!!!! this could take a few weeks.....

the dead rat

Super late here,  but did you ever have any luck finding or drawing up a schematic? I have one that I'm rebuildng because it stopped working in the early 90s and for almost two years now i have yet to find any schematics
for it.