Thanks, reports, & an AMZ mosfet boost question.

Started by squidsquad, November 10, 2004, 08:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squidsquad

BIG thanks to this site, ROG, GEO, Tim E. AMZ for the schems, posts & articles.  I have learned SO much and had SO much fun & also saved a lot of money building these pedals.  BLESS YOU ALL!

The Fetzer Valve put sparkle into my muddy Pig Nose amp...as well as taking care of the high end sucking of my EH Memory Man.
The Rocket (luv it) into the Ruby amp (luv it) into the speakers of my twin will get feedback on any note...as well as send my girlfriend screaming out of the room...WooHooooo!
Changing the trio of 1uf caps in the EA Tremelo to .68's got the speed up.

My question:  Yesterday I built the AMZ mosfet boost.  Having read of bias trouble...I used a 47k followed by a 20k trim pot for R2.  It works but...
changing the trim does nothing! I heard that the *window* was small.
Perhaps my trimmer is no good...and I lucked out on the resistor?  It boosts...but not quite as loud as the mini-booster.  And when I turn the gain all the way down...it doesn't go silent...but to unity.  I know I should measure things...but my meter went dead & I'm low on dough.  Any thoughts???  Rick G.

PS...if this is a double post...sorry.  Sent one this morning & it never showed up.

petemoore

VOltage reading on the drain may tell you alot.
 Tweek the trimpot and see if the voltage there moves.
   If it's too low, and doesn't go high enough but moves, perhaps tweekin' on that trim's trim' resistor [47k] may get the drain bias in the pocket. 20k might not find the sweet spot for that transistor...it may not fall between 47k and 67k.
 If that doesn't work, could be somfin' else...ye know.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.