Yet Another HMP!

Started by RDV, November 10, 2004, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDV

An honest opinion from A. Hermida made me reconsider what I've been doing with this thing. I'd lost site of what I was trying to do in the first place, which was build a DIY Heavy Metal Pedal. What got me started on the BMP style tone control was the fact that as I turned down the Rat style one I was using, it lost volume, which I didn't like. I turned to the BMP style with it's volume recovery section when what I really needed was just the volume recovery section.

This one is a true Heavy Metal Pedal. The previous versions sound like warm fuzzy overdrives, but not this one. It's not versatile, it just kicks ass. Sound samples coming soon. The lite version will be posted soon also.

"Turn it up loud Captain"

RDV

RDV

Light simply means no parametric section.

RDV

MartyMart

Ricky, once again nice work !
Was about to start a HMP V3, but will have a try this, still trying to get a layout on perf to work/be neat...... any tips ??

Cheers,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Alpha579

once again, nicely done, looks great...
Alex Fiddes

Marcos - Munky

Cool!!! Waiting to hear the soundclips.

RDV

Quote from: MartyMartRicky, once again nice work !
Was about to start a HMP V3, but will have a try this, still trying to get a layout on perf to work/be neat...... any tips ??
The 5 is very tight and Metallica sounding. The parametric also is much more effective without the BMP style tone control. This one is really not too hard on perf as no wire really cross over. What I do with an IC based project is use a board that has two rails down the center that I make the 9v & Vr supply. That makes it so easy cause the opamps straddle this and you work on either side depending on which channel of the OA you're wiring up. The perfboard looks like this:

RDV

LiquidSteel

hi

great work ... now i can chose between the rev4 and rev5 with a switch :)

RDV

Quote from: LiquidSteelgreat work ... now i can chose between the rev4 and rev5 with a switch :)
Have you got that worked out? Cause that would be very cool! You could use the same 100k pot as the BMP uses if the cap to ground is changed to a .0022uF.

RDV

kusi

hi

maybe so?

http://forum.musikding.de/attachements/HMP.jpg

use a small 3dpd-switch (i don`t konw how they named...), 2 stages of the switch for the treble-pot, an 1 stage for a higher Inupt-capacitor (adds a 10nF  paralell to the 15nF = ~25nf)

grettings from switzerland!

kusi

edit: ups, i forgot the 15k R to ground in the BMP-tonestack... :oops:

MartyMart

Thanks Ricky, that makes sense of it !
V-cool,
Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

LiquidSteel

hi

kusi ... you changed in your chematic some values ... does it sound better than the rev4 ??

kusi

hi liquid steel!

the values are from the REV3. better sounding? i`dont know, i didn`d finish the pedal...... :D

btw. in REV3 is the R to ground 22k, not 15k.

mfg kusi

RDV

In versions 3 & 4, the values of the Bigg Muff style tone control can be played with to do what you want it to do. Download Duncan's Tonestack Calculator and play with the values till you see something you think you'd like, that's what I did.

RDV

Peter Snowberg

Right on RDV! 8) 8) 8)

I've gotta build one of your designs one of these days. :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

kusi

hi rdv!

now, i finishd my HMP, with the two tonestacks. but the new tonestack with the 10k/2,2n didn`t work well.  i can`t hear any changes in the sound.... :?
maybe a litle, when i turn the turn the Q-trimmpot....

but the BMP-tonestack sounds very good :twisted:  great pedal!

can you help me? thanks

kusi :)

RDV

Quote from: kusihi rdv!

now, i finishd my HMP, with the two tonestacks. but the new tonestack with the 10k/2,2n didn`t work well.  i can`t hear any changes in the sound.... :?
maybe a litle, when i turn the turn the Q-trimmpot....

but the BMP-tonestack sounds very good :twisted:  great pedal!

can you help me? thanks

kusi :)
The 10k/22n is just a fizz control to shave off the extreme high end. You can try different cap values to change the frequency that it affects. Post your findings!

Glad you like it.

RDV

kusi

hi rdv

i thought, that this is a treble-control... how it works by your pedal?

should i in- or decrease the capacitor?

greetz
kusi

kusi

Quote from: kusihi rdv

i thought, that this is a treble-control... how it works by your pedal?

should i in- or decrease the capacitor?

greetz
kusi

you know, tone-control  like the proCo rat....

RDV

It is like the Rat tone control. You could try the rat values, or just increase the size of the cap.

RDV

RDV

Try a .022uF and see how you like it.

RDV