DC jack recommendations?

Started by idlefaction, November 10, 2004, 09:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idlefaction

Hey all.

I recently received my Mouser order containing a bunch of Switchcraft 2.1mm DC jacks, the nice high-quality ones with screw panel mounting etc, only to find that the ring shorts to the case.

So if I build anything witha metal case, i can't ground the case any more cos regular BOSS etc wiring means i have to have it with the +ve to the ring and it shorts to ground.

Has anyone else had this issue and solved it in some cute DIY way? Or has anyone got another recommendation for a good DC jack to use?

Cheers  :)
Darren
NZ

nightingale

the 163-4302 from mouser is good..
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

idlefaction

that _is_ a good one, i've used it before, thanks!

Oh and if anyone has used a good battery drawer, let me know, i'm using the Bulgin single 9V drawers at the moment mouser 122-BX0023 and they have quite low-quality rough edges despite being really nice parts.

cheers!
Darren
NZ

pswoods

I use 163-4302. Kinda blows b/c it takes up a lot of room for what it does: 1/2" hole for DC jack. I try to build everything in an MXR size box and I like for all parts to be smallish - at least not needlessly large.

I have epoxy'd a square one (PCB mount type) from a Dunlop salvage pedal to the inside of a smaller hole, and that's actually the most satisfied I've been with a DC jack. Not very tidy, tho; not looking to that as good solution, just a model of compactness.

I'd be very interested to learn of a source for a better one, too.

idlefaction

the big drawcard for the switchcraft one for me was that it has a version with right angle PCB mount legs...   it would have been perfect if it wasn't for the damn thing shorting to the case.  

maybe some kind of plastic grommet around the case could be used.  or I could bite the bullet and make my pedals have the tip +ve and have them blow up anyone's BOSS adapter they plug in.  :P

mmm epoxy  :-D   the duct tape of pedal building *lol*
Darren
NZ

KORGULL

I put those jacks inside a rubber grommet from the local hardware store.
Works great.

idlefaction

wow, really?  i'd assumed rubber grommets would be too bulky and you wouldn't be able to get the thread to reach around one!

guess i'll go grommet shopping  :-)
Darren
NZ

tungngruv

I think Steve from Small Bear has something on his site where he drills out the hole bigger than what he needs, fills it with bondo, sands it down and then re-drills the right sized hole in the center of the bondo. This way, the part (jack in this case) is touching bondo only and the part is kept from touching the metal case. My description of this sounds pretty crude but if you look on his site, I think you'll be surprised. I'm pretty sure it's on his "Small Wart" project. Take a look, it might be what your'e looking for.

tungngruv

SORRY!! It's under Projects, then "Trem Bear" under the topic " Isolating the DC jack".

http://smallbearelec.com/Projects/TremBear/TremBear.html

:D

idlefaction

oh that is just so cool.  thanks so much!!!!  

:D
Darren
NZ

Burstbucker

What about the plastic BOSS-style jack, would that work?

Burstbucker

This jack at Small Bear Electronics.  BOSS-style jack with plastic bushing.

http://smallbearelec.com/Ordering/Stocklist.htm

idlefaction

wow, steve's expanded his stocklist a bit since i last looked.  :-)

cheers man.
Darren
NZ

Ben N

Weber has plastic ones for $1.  His shipping is high, but I had an order in for other stuff anyway, so...

Ben
  • SUPPORTER