Tone controls in a preamp?

Started by mlabbee, November 11, 2004, 04:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlabbee

Well, here I go.  This week, I'm embarking on my first tube project - a version of the Real McTube II using a 6021 tube (the kind Zvex uses in the Nanohead).  I notice, though, that the McTube doesn't have a tone stack.  Any thoughts on the pros and cons of using a tone stack between the two gain stages?

petemoore

It'll make it sound different, and the passives use gain so won't be as loud...etc.
 Run a simple buffer ahead of it though, to drive the passives, and gain loss might not be a problem. This means another tube preamp stage...or...
 Tone control before, in a stompbox, Tone control after in the amp...alot of options...EQ pedal. Some tone shaping  in the pedal...options options options...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brett

Hi.
The classic Marshall tone stack sounds good and has less loss than most others.  Check out Duncan's Tone Stack calculator is you haven't already.
good luck
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Phorhas

I think that the Duncan TSC show the marshall tone stack with a lesser gain loss because it asumes that a buffer stage is ahead of the TS
Electron Pusher

petemoore

Where can I see a Marshall Tonestack Scheamtica?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.