Electronic switch problem....

Started by gaddargaddar, November 11, 2004, 08:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaddargaddar

Hi again everybody..again ı had a problem...this time the switching....I couldn't find dpdt or 3pdt footswitches in my country...so I decided to made an electronic switch fo my stompbox...anyway I read the tonegod article at his page...and tried to build all of those switches...I succeeded at the momentary ones but on the other ones something goes wrong...I don't know why and it drives me really crazy...anyway Could somebody explain me how an D- type flip flop works??? and Could anybody shows me an example circuit about a switch made by that type of flip flop??? I need a circuit with a switch which changes the state of Q and Q's complement when I pushed it....also they had to hold their values until the next push of the switch....(I had 4049,4013,4011,4066,4016 for making a curcuit...)
Please help me I've been working on this since last week....by the way I found the 2n2222 transistors which can be used to make a negistor :) so I'm very happy they sound great...I had another question about them....why  theirs hFE(I don't know what does it means but it's writen on my multimeter..also what is hFE???) are higher than the normal 2n2222's??? I measured them and the hFE is 178-180...Could somebody explain it to me???

Again thanks for everybody's patience for my absurd questions....
support music,not rumors

David

Quote from: gaddargaddarHi again everybody..again ı had a problem...this time the switching....I couldn't find dpdt or 3pdt footswitches in my country...so I decided to made an electronic switch fo my stompbox...anyway I read the tonegod article at his page...and tried to build all of those switches...I succeeded at the momentary ones but on the other ones something goes wrong...I don't know why and it drives me really crazy...anyway Could somebody explain me how an D- type flip flop works??? and Could anybody shows me an example circuit about a switch made by that type of flip flop??? I need a circuit with a switch which changes the state of Q and Q's complement when I pushed it....also they had to hold their values until the next push of the switch....(I had 4049,4013,4011,4066,4016 for making a curcuit...)
Please help me I've been working on this since last week....by the way I found the 2n2222 transistors which can be used to make a negistor :) so I'm very happy they sound great...I had another question about them....why  theirs hFE(I don't know what does it means but it's writen on my multimeter..also what is hFE???) are higher than the normal 2n2222's??? I measured them and the hFE is 178-180...Could somebody explain it to me???

Again thanks for everybody's patience for my absurd questions....

Your questions aren't absurd at all.  Actually, you got your point across quite well.  Read the "Wicked Switches" article again, very slowly.  Look at the circuit that uses a 4049 inverter with a non-momentary switch (for example, a pushbutton stomp switch).  I believe this one would be the most effective for you.  Andrew will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that turning on the switch generates a logic 1 and turns the circuit on.  When you turn the switch off, this generates a logic 0 and turns the Wicked Switch circuit off, which will bypass your effect circuit.
I was able to get this switch operating on a breadboard with very little trouble at all.  The problem was, I didn't have the time to figure out how to wire the circuit on perfboard.

The Tone God

Hello everyone.

You are correct David. When you hit the switch a logic one is generated. The deboucing network sets the logic input high, which feeds an inverter making a final output zero. When the switch is engaged the logic input is grounded when causes the logic gate to go high.

If the switch (4066) is backwards you can just wire it backwards like a DPDT. Or you could flip your LED around. Make sure you switch the polarity on the LED.

I should update that article. I have a few new things to add to the topic.

Andrew

David

Andrew:

Is there a way that you could put a PCB pattern of the correct size in there so we can do a toner transfer?

Satch12879

hFE is also known as Beta on transistor spec sheets.
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

The Tone God

Quote from: DavidIs there a way that you could put a PCB pattern of the correct size in there so we can do a toner transfer?

The PCBs are in PDF, and I belive in PostScript as well, should be already to size. Thats why I use PDFs instead of GIF or other image formats.

Are you having problems with them ?

Andrew

David

Andrew:

I printed off the PCB pattern sometime back.  IIRC, it printed out too small.

The Tone God

I'll check it.I have had reports from others that they printed ok. Maybe you had your software set to shrink it.

Andrew

gaddargaddar

Hi everybody...

This situation gets really frustrating...I burned three 4066's and one 4016...Tonegod could you give the exact leg numbers of the 4066 or 4016 for connections....I'd be really glad if you could.....again if it doesn't work I had to order 3pdt's from here :)How could I order without a credit card in a most secure way from here???
Any suggestions???
support music,not rumors

freebird1127

IIRC, hFe typically is related to the AC current waveform amplification characteristics of the device, whereas Beta relates to the DC counterpart.
Evan Haklar
What's the difference between incompetence and indifference?  I don't know and I don't care!

The Tone God

Quote from: gaddargaddarThis situation gets really frustrating...I burned three 4066's and one 4016...Tonegod could you give the exact leg numbers of the 4066 or 4016 for connections....I'd be really glad if you could.....

Try this:

http://www.geocities.com/thetonegod/switch.html

You shouldn't be blowing any ICs even with improper switch wiring. Make sure you not over-volting or wiring the power supply incorrectly.

Andrew