ruby again, rrrgh!

Started by ubertar, November 11, 2004, 09:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubertar

OK, everything was sounding great, except I had a loose connection. In the process of resoldering the connection, I'm pretty sure I fried the opamp. Ok, so I started all over. The new one is fine, except there's a lot more hum, and when you turn the volume and gain all the way up, there's this weird electronic sounding ossilation/feedback thing going on. If it doesn't start on its own by turning the gain up all the way, it starts as soon as you play a note. Turn the volume or gain down enough and it goes away.
The grounding hum gets a lot quieter if you touch the end of the cable near where it plugs into the amp.
Any idea what the problem could be?

coreybox

this is a little off subject.........but i was wondering how could the ruby amp sounds. im use to tube amps and the such, woudl i find the sound out of an amp like this exceptable...or is it much more of a i cant play loud sort of hting?

ubertar

Ok, I think I've got the hum problem fixed, but there's still that LFO when the volume and gain go past a certain point. Turning either of them down stops it, but if one is up all the way and I turn the other past a certain point, it starts up. The only thing different from the first one I made is the mpf102 comes from a different source (an online guy instead of rat shack). I still have a 200k audio pot for volume and a 5k audio for gain.

ubertar

Problem solved. I guess the LFO stuff is just what happens when the battery starts losing its power. New battery=no problem.