True Bypass Pedal Popping with LED

Started by Shawk, November 11, 2004, 10:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STOMPmole

"One question though, what are you guys using to house the LEDs in? The ones I were buying, already had a bezel with it."

Depending on how much space I have in the enclosure, I either use nothing at all (I drill a tight fitting hole, press in the LED, and apply superglue to the backside), a cheapie black plastic ring bezel (like the MXR reissues), or my favorite mounting method...a clear Fender jewel:

I also think that the Taiwan 3PDTs might be somewhat mechanically noisy regardless of whether you are using an LED in the circuit.  They're still good switches and I doubt you'd notice the subtle "pop" when you've got drums in the background or a hissing tube amp.

Shawk

BUMP

Ok, so I got the other LEDs in and I noticed that to drastically reduce the pop where I can live with it, I had to use a 25v 33uF Sprague Can Capacitor in series with the negative LED leads and use a super bright, low current led.

This does not get rid of the pop but greatly reduces it.

There are no resistors on the LEDs now. Resistors just do not work at removing pop in the unit. I used all the way up to 18K and found no difference in the pop. All this did was reduce brightness.

MAX forward voltage for the particular LEDs is 1.8V and I am reading 1.6 volts on the positive side using the capacitor.

My questions are:

Is it ok to use the capacitor?

What kind of problems would I run into in the future if any?

What are the chances of the cap going bad and shorting out and delivering the full 9v to the LEDs and frying them?