Morley Sapphire Flanger meets A/DA control circuit

Started by DiyFreaque, November 11, 2004, 11:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

Question - would the ADA Flanger mind 18volts?
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Vsat

Steve,
Why?????.....The 7815 regulator will need at least 18V input  voltage to regulate properly. The CMOS chips should not have more than 15V applied if they are "B" series, if you are concerned about reliability...the abs. max is around 18V to 20V depending on manufacturer... but you should not run them at abs. max. If the CMOS is "A" series, definitely don't run above 15V... 12V would be safer. The LM324/MC3403 have no problem being run at 18V. The SAD1024 however (IIRC), is spec'd at 18V abs. max... and you don't want to burn it out. 15V is the most I would run an SAD1024 on.
Regards, Mike

puretube

Quote from: Vsat...three PARALLEL BBDs with separate outputs, and a common input. One BBD is 3 stages, one is 5 stages, and the other is much longer... around 1024 stages.

Anyone have any idea what this is for (or seen it used in a commercial fx unit)?
Mike

that`s for reverb purposes... Mark has written some explanations in the past...

btw.: the heterodyning of 2 clocks in TZF is "just" a design/layout (including PS/grounds) thing...
(you can get around it with a couple of 6dB/oct RC filters in the right spots, plus a 12dB/oct in each channel - provided staying with high clock frequencies...).

Vsat

Puretube,
Seems to me that the MN3214 with a 3-stage delay, a 5-stage delay and a much bigger delay (in parallel, separate outputs, but fed from common input) would be a very unlikely and poor choice for a reverb.  At least the MN3011 has many more stages, and more taps (prime-number taps at that) on a single delay line. A 3 or 5 stage (or even one-stage) BBD could be used to "pre-process" the dry signal before flanging so the "dry" signal has a spectrum shape which varies the same way as the dry signal fed through the main (much longer) delay... to give better notching as the clock speed is varied. Perhaps it was meant for some weird kind of loudspeaker time-equalization? Or an HRTF processor? Maybe it was a custom product that got re-used?
Regards, Mike

puretube

big OOOPS, here: having been distracted while reading, I mixed up "stages" with "taps"... :oops:  - sorry, Sir! ...

puretube

maybe a pseudo-stereo-, or a mono-compability-, or a correlation- thing, then...?  :?
(or for video-purposes?)

Vsat

Puretube,
The chip I'm talking about specifically is actually the MN3012 (the MN3214 is more like a shorter version of the the MN3011)... to add to the strangeness the MN3012 also has an on-chip clock generator... it says chorusing, fading, reverb in the applications list. Whatever Fading is....
Regards, Mike

puretube

ok, now I`m up to date: "Sound Field Magnification"... :
long delay (190stages) for monaural "ambience/reverb" purposes,
short (5 stages) for "stereo" or "spread" purposes;
switch between both possibilities...

(acc. to  the P*nasonic AN for MN3012 - I think in Mark`s BBD-ementia ?)

StephenGiles

Mike, yes of course, I was forgetting about the cmos aspect. I just found an 18v mains adaptor (wall wart) which perhaps I'll use with a 7812 for safety. Good job I didn''t try it!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Vsat

Puretube,
OK  :D
But every 2nd or 3rd Panasonic BBD appnote shows the Sound Field Magnification circuit in some form.

Steve:
The A/DA does have a 15V regulator on board (7815) so should be quite happy with up to 24 V DC going in!

Tried the MC3403 in a number of circuits - it's supposed to be similar to LM324 but with better output stage for audio - turns it has a very wimpy output stage  and goes into HF oscillation quite easily - the MC34074 MC34072 on the other hand has a magnificent output stage, and even though very very high speed has no problems with spurious oscillations, and works great as an LM324/MC3403 upgrade.
Regards, Mike

StephenGiles

Thanks for that Mike, I'll keep searching.
Stephen

puretube

Mike:
this:
QuoteA 3 or 5 stage (or even one-stage) BBD could be used to "pre-process" the dry signal before flanging so the "dry" signal has a spectrum shape which varies the same way as the dry signal fed through the main (much longer) delay... to give better notching
is something I currently prefer to "silence" about (ask Mark what I mean...),
though I have given some hints in the past...

Vsat

Puretube,
Ooops......
OK, I'll keep the possible benefits of the "single-stage BBD" wrapped in mystery then.... what I was actually thinking of was a form of  tracking sinx/x compensation.
Regards, Mike