Double D build report and mods

Started by RDV, November 12, 2004, 03:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDV

Pulled a 5 hour build-a-thon on this one. It's not hard cause of the nice perf layout, but man that's a lot of stuff on a perfboard! It didn't work at first cause I had some little solder bridges and stuff. I really dig the way you can like switch amp channels with it. I've only listened through Tim E's little 1 transistor amp so far cause everybody's asleep here, but I'll post after some more testing 2morrow. Has anybody else built this thing? I don't remember reading any build reports on it.

Good Night

RDV

Marcos - Munky

I have one, but it isn't working. I did some mistakes in it, and I will rebuild it. Looks really interesting.

petemoore

Is this the one with the "Bounce' and "Jiggle' channels ?
 4049 distorter like Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz?
 Yes I built it, the one channel sounded like a large tube amp under load, very convincingly too.
  The other channel...I didn't use much [ ].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RDV

Quote from: petemooreIs this the one with the "Bounce' and "Jiggle' channels ?
 4049 distorter like Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz?
 Yes I built it, the one channel sounded like a large tube amp under load, very convincingly too.
  The other channel...I didn't use much [ ].
Yeah, the high-gain channel is a little fizzy. I'm gonna box it up with 2 switches anyway. I may be adding a rat style EQ to take this fizz out. I left room for it on the box in case I do it. I'm just proud to have finally built an inverter distortion.

RDV

petemoore

You can probably tame or effectively eliminate the Fizz EZ enough with a small cap to ground, half way through or at the output. I'm thinking you're wanting the tone control on it anyway though.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RDV

I boxed it up today and had some oscillation problems with the high-gain channel. I had to use a 3PDT for the bypass switch and wire on the two outside poles. I used the middle pole to switch the 9v to the LEDs so when I turn the bypass on or off the LED for whichever channel happens to be on will go off also. So, I'm using two 3PDT switches on this motherhumper(the other one changes channels and selects the LEDs). I painted it real nice too, like the HMPs in the dark Hammertone. I'll make some labels at work Monday and post some pics.

RDV

RDV

Red is Bounce, Yellow is Jiggle.

RDV

pbrommer

Hey RDV-
Is there any chance that you could show how you did the wiring with two switches? I'm still kind of new at this building thing, and couldn't quite figure out how to do two switches, and that's how I wanted to build it (in the future). And please, put it in terms that a st00pid n00b could understand, because I'll go crazy if there's too much to think about. Thanks. Looks nice.. :)

patrick
  • SUPPORTER

RDV

Quote from: pbrommerHey RDV-
Is there any chance that you could show how you did the wiring with two switches? I'm still kind of new at this building thing, and couldn't quite figure out how to do two switches, and that's how I wanted to build it (in the future). And please, put it in terms that a st00pid n00b could understand, because I'll go crazy if there's too much to think about. Thanks. Looks nice.. :)

patrick
Here you go:

RDV

pbrommer

Thank you so much. Now I'll have reference for future build..
  • SUPPORTER

RDV

I really love the DoubleD. It has a very natural sounding tube-like distortion IMO. I did have trouble using the Bounce channel "live" however because the amount of gain was mushing out the front end of my Marshall. My first thought was to reduce the gain a bit, so I changed the feedback resistors to 220k & 100k(in the first to inverters of the channel) and this did reduce gain, however it also changed the tone  because I left the same caps on the inverters. After giving this some thought I opened up AMZ's filter frequency calculator and found cap values that would give the same freq response as the original ciruit, and those were .001uF & 470pF respectively.

Here's a little re-do of the section in question in case any of you would like to try this:

RDV