Ruby Build and Questions

Started by vanhansen, November 12, 2004, 10:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanhansen

I started building the Ruby Amp from ROG and have everything perfed.  This is my second perf project after the beginner project (been busy modding my own stuff  :D ).

I have a few questions though.  All I had was a non-polarized 220uF electrolytic cap for the output section.  Will that be OK to use even though the build calls for a polarized cap?

What voltage readings should I be getting from the Drain, Source and Gate of the JFET?  I couldn't find anything in the archives or on the ROG site.

What other value pots can be used for the Gain in place of 1K?  I have a few 5K's laying around.

My plan is to mount this in a Fossil watch tin my wife had.  After I build the Tube Reamer (eventually), I may mount them together in the same enclosure and chain them together making a Tube Reamer plus Ruby Amp in one.  Can I just go from the output of the Tube Reamer to the input of the Ruby?  I'm assuming that's all I'd have to do.  I may call this the Ruby Reamer or something like that.  :D
Erik

petemoore

Quote from: vanhansenI started building the Ruby Amp from ROG and have everything perfed.  This is my second perf project after the beginner project (been busy modding my own stuff  :D ).

I have a few questions though.  All I had was a non-polarized 220uF electrolytic cap for the output section.  Will that be OK to use even though the build calls for a polarized cap? Should work fine, note that voltage rating must = or exceed the PS voltage.

What voltage readings should I be getting from the Drain, Source and Gate of the JFET?  I couldn't find anything in the archives or on the ROG site.
 >>>Jfet drain is connected to V+...and should read 8.78V with an 8.78v battery.

What other value pots can be used for the Gain in place of 1K?  I have a few 5K's laying around.
 >>>Stick the 5k in there, and 'tame it down' to around 1k using a resistor across lugs 1 and 3, or just leave it turned down...options.

My plan is to mount this in a Fossil watch tin my wife had.  After I build the Tube Reamer (eventually), I may mount them together in the same enclosure and chain them together making a Tube Reamer plus Ruby Amp in one.  Can I just go from the output of the Tube Reamer to the input of the Ruby?  I'm assuming that's all I'd have to do.  I may call this the Ruby Reamer or something like that.  :D
Yes
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

vanhansen

Thanks for the answers pete.  I'm hoping to get the amp up and running tonight.  Everything is perfed, and a battery clip wired up.  I just need to add the jacks and pots.  It will get tested out with a battery before I hook it up for DC power.  I actually have a 9 volt DC adapter with the battery clip on the end that I can use until I get a barrel plug for it.  I forgot I had that adapter.
Erik

vanhansen

Well, got the Ruby working 100% today.  I really like the sound out of it. My 4x12 has no problems with it.  Sounds great.  Thank you ROG.
Erik