Multi Face Question

Started by tungngruv, November 12, 2004, 06:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tungngruv

My favorite pedal of all time (ROG Multi Face :D ) is making a real weird "speaker cut with razor blades" noise the fuzz knob is maxed. It almost sounds like a piece of paper vibrating off a speaker.  It's really noticeable when I lighten up my picking while leaving it maxed out. If I back off the fuzz on the pedal barely, I can get it to go away. The multi face is completely built like it's posted on ROG, using BC108's and I did replace a resistor with the 1M pot like Tim recomends in "The Many Faces of Fuzz article. This isn't really a pressing problem, the thing sounds great, it's just bugging me that I can't crank it all the way up. Any ideas??

b_rogers

try a 1k resistor after the input before the incap..it should help.

Brent
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

petemoore

Add C to Q2
 A small capacitor across Q2's Collector/base connections will probably eliminate that IIUCFWYD [=if I understand correctly from what you describe].
 You can add a capacitor to signal path from just about anywhere you want...input, output Q2 base..mostly I run high end rolloff caps to ground.
 Alot of wierd stuff can get to going on in a Multi Face, Each Face I try on it requires different tunings
 Bias set for new transistor
 Gain set
 Guitar Volume set
 Input capacitor voice
 High end taming  Rolloff caps [?]=LP filter
 Output cap
 Emitter R bypass capacitor
 Because the gains of the transistors,, and other factors vary on each board, [as well as pickup output] the FF is best as a more tunable item IMO.
 I haven't gone as far as to parallel a socket to Q2's B/C connections [to add a cap there] I probably should, as I don't get the chances to test on the big amp so often, and stuffing a capacitors leads in With the transistore lead in the socket...I'm probably less inclined to want to bench it and get a different one in there.
 That cap should be re=evaluated with different amp settings, carefully chosen if used, once the highs are cut...
 Leaving just a touch of high end hash in it, I can usually tune the amp do less fizzy.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

tungngruv

Thanks guys, I'll try your "fixes"!!

b_rogers

can you tell pete and i love the multi and FF in general? LOL

Bent
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/