Sorry guys, another Ruby Thread, arghh!!!!

Started by siaoguitar, November 12, 2004, 07:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

siaoguitar

Sorry, i really need some help on my Ruby amp, i need all the help i can get, i don't know what's wrong,

1. I'm using a 2n3819 trans in place of the mpf102
2. pin 2 & 3 has been twisted around to for the GSD orientation as seen on the diagram shown in rungrove site.
3. I'm using a stereo jack to turn on the circuit, is it correct? or should i use a mono jack?
4. i'm using a LM386 N-1 IC
5. the speaker is rated: 8 ohms, 1Watt

Why is there no sound? I've some pics here:

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=215875701&ran=20739

petemoore

Quote from: siaoguitarSorry, i really need some help on my Ruby amp, i need all the help i can get, i don't know what's wrong,

1. I'm using a 2n3819 trans in place of the mpf102
 >>If it's a Jfet I think it should work, but only when the pinout is actually correct, I say actually because these Jfets can be tricky.
2. pin 2 & 3 has been twisted around to for the GSD orientation as seen on the diagram shown in rungrove site.
3. I'm using a stereo jack to turn on the circuit, is it correct? or should i use a mono jack?
 >>>I only use stereo jacks for PS switching, no jacks at all for debugging, use the DMM beeper, and see if you have continuity from the input of the circuit to the tip of a cable inserted in the Stereo jack you have installed, if not find the tip connection on the jack in same way and make corrected connections.
4. i'm using a LM386 N-1 IC
5. the speaker is rated: 8 ohms, 1Watt

Why is there no sound? I've some pics here:
 >>>It is probably getting lost somewhere between your input jack and the speaker, if youre using a known good speaker.
http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=215875701&ran=20739
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

siaoguitar

Hi petemoore, i meant my input female jack is a stereo one, like ina stompbox, there is definitely signal between the jack tip & the circuit input.

RLBJR65

Site will not give me let me view the pics.
Richard Boop

siaoguitar

B Tremblay

Based on those photos, I'm going to guess that there may be a solder bridge, cold solder joint, or even a combination of the two.  Also, you'll find it easier to troubleshoot the solder side of the board if the wiring is loaded from the top like other components.

Now I'm not saying that my solder work is anywhere near perfection, but I'm sure you can see a difference between my Ruby board's solder side and yours:
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com