DS-1 no longer works...

Started by shanejohnson2002, November 13, 2004, 02:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shanejohnson2002

I just did the mods on this page to my DS-1 (the only thing I did different was change the red indicator LED to a blue one, because it looks cool).

When I first did the mods, all I changed was the LED, and I put the old red one in the clipping circuit as per instructions.

Now, the LED doesn't light up at all, there's no bypassed signal when the pedal is off, and when it's on, it's very weak.

I've built/modded several pedals before, but I'm no engineer...it's always been a "color by number" sort of thing where I just follow instructions. All of the others work.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? I'm thinking a short circuit somehwere, but all the solder joints look good.

shanejohnson2002

BTW, it stopped working after I changed the capacitor/resistor values. I used metal-film caps and resistors. It worked just fine until I did this.

shanejohnson2002

Discovered I put the clipping LED in backwards....but a non-working clipping LED wouldn't account for the lack of a signal when the pedal's not on, would it?

shanejohnson2002

Fixed clipping LED, power LED still does not light.

ildar

Double-check all your solder work to make sure the contact is tight, etc. One thing I've learned on Boss pedals is that it's very easy to bridge the solder over a trace that you didn't intend.
Also, check the diodes again, make sure they're oriented properly.
Finally, check over the new components with your mutimeter, make sure they're functioning.

vanhansen

Did you test it out after changing each component?  I did that when I modded my SD-1.  This way, I new that it was still working and if it didn't, then I knew what/where the problem was.
Erik