dumb OpAmp question...

Started by bigjonny, November 14, 2004, 04:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjonny

I'm not an electronics whiz, so here goes a question to help me (and others, I hope) understand opamps a bit....

I want to use a TL072 for the OpAmp sections (U1,U2) in the Simple Square Wave Shaper Made Simpler (SSWSMS).  The TL072 has 8 pins; SSWSMS has only 6 that are used.  The two that are "left out" are the Vcc+ and Vcc- pins (pins 4 & 8, respectively).

Do the SSWSMS's OpAmp(s) get powered from Vr at the non-inverting input of U1 (pin 3)?

What do I do with pins Vcc+ & Vcc-?  Do I ground them both?

Thanks.

niftydog

those pins are generally omitted from diagrams for clarity. It is assumed that they are connected to the power rails. In this case it's 9VDC single supply with Vr connected to the (first) op amps non-inverting terminal to bias it to mid supply.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

bigjonny

Thanks for the reply.

So, erm, "power rails"?  I'm not sure what that means.  Do I connect Vcc+ to 9VDC, and Vcc- to ground?  Thanks again!

niftydog

yup.  :D  Sorry, shouldn't have used jargon!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

brett

When a rail is connected to ground, is it a power supply rail?  Or is the +9V the power supply rail?
Kinda stupid, philosophical question, but it's Monday morning and I haven't drunk my coffee yet.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Hal

i would call it a "ground rail," but i guess it is a power rail too....