MXR Analog Delay circuit board

Started by rspst14, November 14, 2004, 06:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rspst14

Hey guys, does anyone have any pictures of an MXR analog delay board?  I'm trying to repair one of these, and it would be a big help if someone could post a decent pic of the board.  I've already ruled out the power cord and the switch as the source of the problem, I want to make sure all the components that are supposed to be on the board are there.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Ryan

cd

rspst14

I don't know what exactly is wrong, but I want to make sure nothing is missing from the board before I try to fix it.

Ryan

ExpAnonColin

Is it the green monster delay?  The R5101 chips in those fry all the time... trace up to the chip and see if you're getting anything right before and right after it.  

-Colin

mrsage

How do you do that?

The tracing, I mean...

I've heard people mention doing that before...and using an audio probe...

Is that the same thing? How does that work? What does it accomplish?

Sounds like it would be a useful tool for my troubleshooting toolbox (in addition to the multimeter...thanks for that, by the way...it's been quite useful).

ExpAnonColin

Yeah, tracing, audio probing... you're basically following the guitar's signal deep into the circuit.  If you find out that the guitar's signal is just fine right in front of a chip, then is gone at the output, it's probable that there's something wrong with the chip.  This is basically testing for bad parts of the circuit.

-Colin

rspst14

Yes, it's the green analog delay.  I bought it dirt cheap a while back thinking I might be able to fix it.  The plug on the power cord had been cut off, so I replaced that.  It's been my experience that the stomp switches go bad quite often with these old MXR pedals, but this one checks out okay.  Is there a place on the site that explains how to trace with an audio probe?  Thanks.

Ryan

ExpAnonColin

Unfortunately, there's a pretty good chance the hard to find R5101 is broken...  Check out Aron's debugging tutorial http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html or geofex's http://www.geofex.com/fxdebug/fxdebug.htm

-Colin