Removing LFO from modulation pedals

Started by YouAre, November 14, 2004, 09:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouAre

If you were to remove the lfo from a certain modulation pedal, like the boss ce-2 for example, would it be like the pedal's modulation is fixed in a certain position?

Hal

sure...dont know if you can do it with a CE-2, but most tremolos and phasers it should work.  

But like...a tremolo without an LFO is a volume cut (or boost), and a phaser without an LFO is an EQ...

the CE2, if i'm correct, uses BBD's...they _need_ to be driven by a clock, or they do nothing.  I know very little about BBD's, but a chorus without the LFO is nothing.

ExpAnonColin

Well, with a CE-2, you're using the LFO to modulate the delay time, so all you'd have is your signal and a slightly delayed signal...  maybe 25ms delayed.  It wouldn't sound that cool...

-Colin

Ben N

Isn't that kind of what the filter switch does on an Electric Mistress-stop the LFO, that is?  That is a neat effect, if subtle--almost like a little bitof ring mod mixed in, a subtle clang t the note.  Works great with fuzz.

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

YouAre

well cuz i'm lookin for something that'd give me a sort of non-modulation chorus effect, like a unison harmony.

gez

Quote from: anonymousexperimentalistWell, with a CE-2, you're using the LFO to modulate the delay time, so all you'd have is your signal and a slightly delayed signal...  maybe 25ms delayed.  It wouldn't sound that cool...

No, this approach is used in effects to get a 'thickening' of sound or to give the illusion of two instruments playing in unison.  I have an old Penfold schematic called the 'Dual tracking effects unit' that does exactly this (chorus without the LFO).  It's a BBD based effect.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

loscha

I will reference this schematic:
http://home.hetnet.nl/~chrisdus/download/ce2b.gif

LFO supplies a continuously variable control voltage,
if you were to put a switch in the centre pin of the "rate" pot, you would stop the LFO, and the depth knob would give you a range of control voltages to play with.
this  should  work with 2 and 3 knob Boss CE flangers, I suppose on a 2 knob, you've got more room to apply a switch.

A delay longer than about 12-20 ms is perceived as doubling, shorter than 10ms, you get combing effects, depending on how much feedback is in the cct. Usually, though, Flangers have much higher feedback than chorus.

The whole frequency equals one over the period equation comes into play here. You can tune the unit to a certain note, and play against it. If any harmonics are an integer divisot of that frequency, it will excite the resonant points of the circuit.

or, in laymans terms, set it to 2 to 5 milliseconds, and you get that sitar ringing sound.
which part of sin theta plus index times sin theta times ratio do you need me to clarify to you?

ExpAnonColin

gez-Sorry, I knew about double tracking effects, but my "wouldn't sound so cool" is some editorialization on my part ;)
-Colin

gez

No need to apologise Colin, I didn't mean to rap you on the knuckles or anything...now, where's that ruler?!  :twisted:  ( :D )
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter