Just a couple n00b questions

Started by superhombre2k, November 15, 2004, 07:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superhombre2k

I came around here a couple months ago to get some troubleshooting help on my Big Tone Music Si fuzz kit, so I'm not a total n00b... but here goes:

1.  I won an EH LPB-1 off eBay and I'd like to rehouse it in a stompbox enclosure.  As a refresher, the LPB-1 has just one knob, the requisite in and out, and the on/off switch... and off-hand I can't remember if it has an LED but I plan to put one in if it doesn't have it.  Anyone have a spare I can buy/trade for?  

2.  I have a Vox V847 wah and sometimes when I switch it on, the effect doesn't come on... it just cuts the signal and the treadle doesn't do anything.  When it's working, which sometimes requires repeated switchings, it sounds great though.  The switch needs to be replaced obviously because it's a horrible tone sucker when bypassed, but does it sound like I need to replace anything else?  If not necessary, what might be some recommended upgrades to improve the tone a little bit?  It's a great pedal and I'd like to get my feet wet in the mod world and make it even better!

Thanks a bunch!

petemoore

Quote from: superhombre2kI came around here a couple months ago to get some troubleshooting help on my Big Tone Music Si fuzz kit, so I'm not a total n00b... but here goes:

1.  I won an EH LPB-1 off eBay and I'd like to rehouse it in a stompbox enclosure.  As a refresher, the LPB-1 has just one knob, the requisite in and out, and the on/off switch... and off-hand I can't remember if it has an LED but I plan to put one in if it doesn't have it.  Anyone have a spare I can buy/trade for?  
  >>>Any booster, but why not try a JFet Gain Stage instead?
2.  I have a Vox V847 wah and sometimes when I switch it on, the effect doesn't come on... it just cuts the signal and the treadle doesn't do anything.  When it's working, which sometimes requires repeated switchings, it sounds great though.  The switch needs to be replaced obviously because it's a horrible tone sucker when bypassed, but does it sound like I need to replace anything else?  If not necessary, what might be some recommended upgrades to improve the tone a little bit?  It's a great pedal and I'd like to get my feet wet in the mod world and make it even better!
  .>>>Sounds like classic 'bad switch' problem to me. I'd replace the switch, but use a DPDT this time and wire it up for true bypass so it stops sucking in bypass mode. I forget exactly where the laid out mods are, GEO has tech of wah article. You can put BCxxx transistors in it, but MPSA18's are just fine also. You can alter the voicing with certain caps...[another post]...or try an 'improved Inductor...that should probably be done [if at all] before the voicing mods.
Thanks a bunch!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

superhombre2k

Eh, I'm a poor kid.  I don't want any more gear than I "need"!  I have a guitar with humbuckers, a Strat (well, 2 but I'm looking to sell one), a Reverend Hellhound amp, a Boss SD-1 for adding dirt, a custom fuzz for old school dirt, a Vox wah, and a DOD 280 compressor.  I got the LPB-1 off eBay for flat out boosting volume but it's one of those stupid plug-in effects you stick into your amp input and that'll drive me nuts.

freebird1127

Quote from: superhombre2k2.  I have a Vox V847 wah and sometimes when I switch it on, the effect doesn't come on... it just cuts the signal and the treadle doesn't do anything.  

This sounds like maybe just a bad solder joint, maybe bad switch but that's irrelevant as you say you're going to replace it anyways... maybe for now just try touching up the joints on the current switch?
Evan Haklar
What's the difference between incompetence and indifference?  I don't know and I don't care!