Vintage Fender Clean

Started by changes, November 15, 2004, 08:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

QuoteThe twin is somewhat cut in the mid tones, maybe it's better with an humbucker, the Deluxe is killer with every guitar.

That is probably why I like my Twin Reverb. I don't like a whole lot of mids, so it suits my style pretty well.

AL

Ben wrote:

QuoteSounds huge? It IS huge! Sheesh, can you actually lift that thing?

That's funny. I have seen a lot of reviews with people complaining about the weight of a Quad Reverb. It is pretty heavy - approx 90 lbs. I guess a lot of musicians are little guys ??- I'm a medium guy. For 19 years I lugged around a Marshall half-stack - I just recently got a Bassman - I also work out 3-5 days a week AND (the kicker) I play in a band with 3 girls and a drummer who is 6'1" and weighs 150 lbs. So ... I'm used to lifting most of the equipment anyway. A few extra pounds is a small price to pay for the sound - that is until my back decides it hates me. :D

AL

Ed G.

No mention of the super reverb?

AL

Just wondering out loud here ... I am no amp expert but it seems to me that there isn't a whole lot of difference between many old Fenders. I think a twin, super-six, quad reverb and dual showman are essentially the same amp in a different package. How about the others?

I don't think I've ever heard a super-reverb but people have always had high praise for them. The quad I recently acquired is very clean at high volumes - maybe that leads to peoples "clean" opinion about twins. But, it is does have a master volume so if I overdrive the MV I get some grit. Both my bassman's have good clean sounds but since they're lower wattage they break up sooner.

AL

Ben N

Quote from: ALI think a twin, super-six, quad reverb and dual showman are essentially the same amp in a different package.
Correct-o-mondo!  But add the Vibrosonic to the list.  They even shared a schematic:
http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/schem/twin_reverb_sf_100_schem.jpg
The only difference being the OTs for the different loads.  Even there, the Twin, DSR and Super Six shared the same OT.  So when your back finally does say "Uncle!", you can get a repro Twin cab and you are still in business.

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

phillip

I like my '94 Fender "Evil Twin" Amp that I bought used a few years back.  It has to be one of the most versatile Twins ever made.

The Evil Twin can do clean and it also has a "vintage drive:" mode and a full-bore tube overdrive channel.  You can switch it between 25W and 100W and it also has an effects loop, effects level switch, external speaker jacks, preamp out and power amp in.  There's also a switch that allows you to assign reverb to channel 1, channel 2, or both.

A while back I was having problems with the channel switching via the footswitch and I feared that there was in internal relay that was bad, but it turned out to be the solder joints on the PC board-mounted jack in the footswitch that were broken and making intermittent contact which caused the amp to momentarily change channels.  Once I touched up the solder joints the problem went away and hasn't come back since.

Other than the footswitch problem, this has been the best amp that I've ever played through.

Phillip

Jose

Hands down tweed deluxe for "clean tone". Hardly any gain loss in tone stack no neg. feedback etc. ':D' Jose

Jose

also the cathodyne p.i. plays a big role in them fabolous tweeds!