schematic search?!!!

Started by doug deeper, November 15, 2004, 08:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug deeper

anyone have the scheme for the Shin-Ei Fuzz (or the fuzz wah?)
i need some jesus and mary chain tones!!!!
thanks in advance!

nightingale

hey doug~

here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledine/greenfuz/fy2_circ.html

psychocandy gets me going pretty good.. i like loop, spacemen 3, darkside,brain jonestown massacre[methodrone].. all of that goof stuff from that time period..
fuzz on,
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Dan N

More fy-2 here:
http://members.fortunecity.com/uzzfay/fy2/fy2.html

Wonder how a jumper accross the fuzz pot would sound? Or a switch to lift that big cap from ground?

doug deeper

nightingale

it's alot like a fuzzrite schemmo.. with some type of filter i beleive?
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

petemoore

Looks like the remnants of a FF are in it. Interesting voicing caps all over...
  I looked up at NTE, and it calls the c536 a general purpose Si transistor. Should be easy enough to find a couple of these.
 Anyone know how they sound?s Might just have to try this one !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

nightingale

pete~
i attempted the one from the greenfuz link. it is the only circuit i have never gotten to work.. this was over 2yrs ago by now. i know the schemmo is good tho,others have described it as "wild, wonderfull fuzz" ..  i also noticed in the archives that mark hammer described the circuit as being similiar to a mosrite fuzzrite, but with a "notch filter"..  

interesting,
i have had thoughts of trying some type of filter on a FF circuit.. to get rid of some of the weird "fizzy modulation" noises when you have a FF cranked at band rehersal volumes. i plan to do a google search to betther inform myself on the subject of notch filters.
fuzz on,
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
    I tried building one awhile back and it seems that the filter took a lot of "gutz" out of the fuzz........not alot of gain.  [kinda unique sounding, though]
 I've had real good luck with the germ version of the Fuzzrite!  The schematic is on a Japanese site that somebody posted awhile back. [I'll see if I've saved it somewhere...]
Brian.

petemoore

I carefully whipped one up. Fired right up too.
 Here's the voltages I took:
 12.6v battery
 Emitters grounded
 Q1
 Collector  6.34v
  Base .24v
  Q2
  Collector 113.v
   Base    ,82v
 It sounds like it's working ok, but also just sounds 'mutey'...not alot of high end.

petemoore

Quote from: petemooreI carefully whipped one up. Fired right up too.
 Here's the voltages I took:
 12.6v battery
 Emitters grounded
 Q1
 Collector  6.34v
  Base .24v
  Q2
  Collector 113.v
   Base    ,82v
 It sounds like it's working ok, but also just sounds 'mutey'...not alot of high end.
I dropped the collector resistance to 10k and that opened it up a bit, still has less high end than what I'm used to and also has a synthy tone, chords sound somewhat garbled...does this sound like I have a problem [as in not wired right? cause it Sounds funny to me.

petemoore

Anyone who owns or built one know if what I describe sounds like it's working right?
 What do you think about the tone of your Companion Fuzz?

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
   Hey Pete-- Switch the output from the Fuzz control to the middle lug [moving the other "pico" to the outer lug].   I think there's a note about this on the Greenfuz site.....    I got a little frustrated with that bit of circuit after the fuzz control 'cuz it really does affect the "punch" of the fuzz...I dunno, maybe  your  bias adjustment was all that can be done.  What trannys did you use???   Is yers noisey???    Any "hiss" problems?
Brian.

brian wenz

Hello Helloooooo-
     Doug, Pete, Everybody----  Do you find that alot of these older circuits
are far less gainey and fuzzy then yer stock Fuzz Face-type circuit??  [The Jordan Bosstone being one exception...]    It seems that they have a certain unique tone but not exactly gobs of fuzz..    The Maestro FZ-1 is pretty fuzzy  [three tranny circuit] but still doesn't even begin to compare to some of the British circuits of the same era.
Brian.

RDV

The one in the Fuzz-Wah is a superfuzz circuit, I know cause I have one. It's not very loud but man what a fuzz!

RDV

petemoore

Tried NTE123, 2n2222's, GP switchers, 5089's, BCxxx's, etc.
 I tried a smaller cap to ground under the 10k and 15k, opened up the high end some. Diddled around with caps and resistors. Both transistors look biased, I moved the voltage up and down some, left 'em around 5.2~.
 What I got I'd call Buzz, non-dynamic, a little synthy, hint of muted trumpet  tone, not too useful sounding as it is. Looks can be decieving time and again, but it looks right, went through it a few extra times.

petemoore

Quote from: brian wenzHello Hello--
   Hey Pete-- Switch the output from the Fuzz control to the middle lug [moving the other "pico" to the outer lug].   I think there's a note about this on the Greenfuz site.....    I got a little frustrated with that bit of circuit after the fuzz control 'cuz it really does affect the "punch" of the fuzz...I dunno, maybe  your  bias adjustment was all that can be done.  What trannys did you use???   Is yers noisey???    Any "hiss" problems?
Brian.
Sure, I'll try swapping the two pot lug connections there. Kinda noisey I guess, didn't really crank it much...I post after change and test.
  OH so I understand, swap lugs on the pot, but leave the .0033 from the Q2 collector connected?

brian wenz

Hello Pete--
    Yeah, the .0022 goes to one outside lug and the .0033 goes to the other outside lug.  The output comes out  the middle lug into the filter network.
Brian.

petemoore

That did seem to improve it some.
 Perhaps I'm not getting it, but definitely sounds more like an 'effect' fuzz than an all around distorter...either I'm doing something wrong or it's just not my cup of tea.

Dan N

I just clipped a jumper across the fuzz pot and liked the way it sounded. Nothing lost, volume and edge gained.

With a 9.5 volt battery my voltages are>
Emitters grounded
Q1
Collector 4v
Base 0.6v
Q2
Collector 1v
Base 0.58v

The 2SC56F is a high gain silicon NPN. Shoot for something with an Hfe 600 to 800.

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
 Yeah,  I agree that it's more of an "effect" fuzz.......
  Anybody tried getting rid of the filter altogether??  
I think this particular circuit is a "love-it-or-leave-it" type....it didn't do a lot for me when I built it.  The germ. Fuzz Rite circuit [almost the same as this one] is much more useable.
Brian.