Boxed Metal Film

Started by petemoore, November 17, 2004, 11:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Boxed Metal Films. I started using AVX Boxed Metal Capacitors. 2n2's, 3n3's 10n's, 100n's, .22's, .18 etc.
 I don't know about charts and statistics, or what cumulative equations could be made, but by ear it seems obvious enough that if used instead of poly film in a circuit a difference may be subtle, I say noticable. Notice I say difference, to that, add clarity.
 Also, while recently tuning a FF, I notice it's easier to do using Box Caps, as compared to greenies, seems the closer accuracy makes it easier for me to register the differnces...could be I'm still stuck on the novelty of using them, going through the 'n' to 'uf' values conversion and all.
 I've been replacing socketted film caps in builds recently. I like 'em.
 By the way, my thanks to Phillip Bryant for the Liquid Drive and the AVX capacitor recommendation !!!
 ....Stratoblaster in front [hakkin' cheeter I am :twisted: ] I'm getting a very nice [vol>> gain<<] glassy smooth, bright and thick boost to [vol< Gain>>] Heavy OD with wonderful pick attack responses at widely different settings//gain up vols down or vols up and gain down, and everything in between. Seems to do a much better job of 'backing off without dulling like other DIST+ types. Smooth Racer.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

phillip

Glad to hear that you like the AVX box caps!  As far as my ears can tell, they sound just as good as the Panasonic V-Series metal film caps, but they're a bit cheaper, and they come from Mouser, which is my main supplier.

I'm also glad to hear that you're having a lot of fun with the Liquid Drive.  I hope that everyone else has a chance to build it and give it a shot also.  The Liquid has effectively replaced all other dirt boxes, including Fuzz Faces and ToneBenders...much more versatile.

Jack Orman recently emailed me with some possible mods to the Liquid Drive.  He said that replacing the two 1M voltage biasing resistors with 100K and replacing the 1uF bias capacitor with a 10uF cap will help to improve bias stability.  The 1M resistor that's attached between the two bias resistors and then to pin 3 of the IC is still 1M.  Haven't tried this improvement yet, but it seems like it would be useful.  >>However, I haven't had any problems with the 1M bias resistors and 1uF bias capacitor.<<

He also suggested increasing the value of the 0.001uF "smoothing" capacitor, which is in parallel with the clipping diodes.  This would help smooth out the overdrive, but in my experiments it kind of muddied up the sound, so I left it as 0.001uF.

Phillip

petemoore

Quote from: phillipGlad to hear that you like the AVX box caps!  As far as my ears can tell, they sound just as good as the Panasonic V-Series metal film caps, but they're a bit cheaper, and they come from Mouser, which is my main supplier.
 >>>Yes I'm glad I ordered them :D , I used films 'forever' until recently, have done many builds just to see what I like, fortunately socketting many of the caps along the way let me replace with different types.

I'm also glad to hear that you're having a lot of fun with the Liquid Drive.  I hope that everyone else has a chance to build it and give it a shot also.  The Liquid has effectively replaced all other dirt boxes, including Fuzz Faces and ToneBenders...much more versatile. The name sums it up. I started turning the knobs today [they are much more usable than My Dist+...gain needs near pegged or it's muddy] and noticed theres a very cool clean side to this thing  :shock:.
 Decidedly a different sound than a stock +, greater clarity, a little less gritty, with the whole cool clean side thing going / Super Pedal !!!

Jack Orman recently emailed me with some possible mods to the Liquid Drive.  He said that replacing the two 1M voltage biasing resistors with 100K and replacing the 1uF bias capacitor with a 10uF cap will help to improve bias stability.  The 1M resistor that's attached between the two bias resistors and then to pin 3 of the IC is still 1M.  Haven't tried this improvement yet, but it seems like it would be useful.  >>However, I haven't had any problems with the 1M bias resistors and 1uF bias capacitor.<<
 >>>Another 'cheat', 1M's are getting few again, I used 470k's for the divider, close enough. I can't remember what value bias capacitor I used, often I use between 47uf and 470uf there. 100uf most commonly. I never noticed much tonal differences...I used to socket "Everything~

He also suggested increasing the value of the 0.001uF "smoothing" capacitor, which is in parallel with the clipping diodes.  This would help smooth out the overdrive, but in my experiments it kind of muddied up the sound, so I left it as 0.001uF.
 >>>I used 8 pin IC socket for diodes, etc. swaps... N/P to pull / put capacitors there, I routinely tune ThaT section.
 Yes it's a beautiful thing !!!

Phillip

Fret Wire

Quote from: phillip

Phillip

You could also try 10k/10k/100uf. That, and the 100k/100k/10uf biasing arrangement are far more common than the original D+ biasing set up.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

vdm

hey,

also note that the 1M combo has lower current draw, and as they say - if it aint broke dont fix it..

but then again this is jack orman suggesting it so it's almost certainly a good idea..

trent

petemoore

Quote from: vdmhey,

also note that the 1M combo has lower current draw, and as they say - if it aint broke dont fix it..

but then again this is jack orman suggesting it so it's almost certainly a good idea..

trent
Yupp I thought about that, just a little, not real worried about Ma/Hours.
 Seems the 1M's could contribute noise. I considered a noiseless biasing setup, noise In my Liquid is real low, not an issue.

petemoore

They're "BRIGht Yellow the best color you can find, saves time searching".