MXR Phaser 101 (CD4016 / CD4013)

Started by Kleber AG, November 18, 2004, 12:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleber AG

You have to enter here:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/humperdinck/223/effect.htm
And scroll down until "Delay Effects" and click on "MXR PHASOR"
Why does MXR stopped this product? Looks like it's(basically) a PHASE90 "without" the distortion problems??? :?

I'm really thinking of building it, but then what could be a good sub for this CD4016 ??? And the CD4013BE says "RCA ONLY", what could I use for this???

Or, is it worth building it? I mean I never ever heard of it, and don't know "why" MXR stopped it...  :( would it work?

Thanks
Kleber AG

vanhansen

not sure what rev that schematic is for but the 101 is a Phase 90.  To eliminate the distortion, do the script or R28 mod (same thing).
Erik

gez

Quote from: Kleber AGI'm really thinking of building it, but then what could be a good sub for this CD4016 ??? And the CD4013BE says "RCA ONLY", what could I use for this???

The 4016 is a really easy chip to get hold of, no need to sub.  Same with the 4013 (forget the CD bit of the code).
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

StephenGiles

There was a discussion thread over at Ampage on this Phaser maybe 3-4 years ago. I'm sure any 4016 will do for the PWM, likewise the 4013 - but probably buffered ones. I saw my print out of that thread recently but in which pile I wonder?? I also redrew the circuit.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

puretube

You too, suffer from piling? (or is it: pileing?)  :lol:

Kleber AG

thanks guys!
QuoteI saw my print out of that thread recently but in which pile I wonder?? I also redrew the circuit.
Hey Stephen, it would be great to have access to the info on that thread, I guess Ampage don't have it anymore, so if you could find it and give us some info that had been discussed back then.... 8) I'deally apreciate that, and your schem redraw.

Kleber AG

Kleber AG

uhh, I forgot, about the distortion problems, yes I've removed R28 it's better but not good, and did the RG's hints about the way Phase45 is configured and it just improoved, but not solved the distortion problem, I use hambuckers pickups, that's the cause, with single coils it's perfect (no distortion)

Kleber AG

Kleber AG

uh no... my third post consecutively :oops:
well, the question: "why probably MXR had stoppedt it?" is still to be answered...

And something important I just had forgot, it doens't have devices to be matched as the Jfets in the Phase90  :shock:
Why would MXR choose to be producing the Phase90 (theorically) having to match Jfets? And worse, having it not working clean(distorting) with hambuckers??? Weird???

Kleber AG

StephenGiles

Here's my drawing:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/uncle_boko/MXRphaser4.gif
I'll have a look for the old threads.

Ton - I'm not sure which, I suspect pileing!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

puretube

here`s hoping to get back to the bottom of that pile by christmas,
that files under "royal filter/sample & hold" and "the E-H drum thingy" and "attack delay",

(but before that time, I`m pretty much distracted by loads of other - not so funny - stuff...)

:roll:

Mark Hammer

My understanding is that MXR stopped making it because they stopped making anything.  This particular model of phaser was in one of the last product lines they produced (plastic boxes, I suspect) before they went out of business in the 80's.

The next question that occurs is why Dunlop didn't start making them over again once they bought the MXR name/rights.  I don't know, but my guess is that they stuck to the models that have the best vintage resale prices, and the P90 and P100 were the most popular of the phasers that the original MXR ever produced.  There are a LOT of things MXR made in the old days that have not been reissued.

In theory, this should be a good phaser, and very expandable.  The nice thing about the PWM approach is that matching is easy.  The 4016 switches are made to stay on and go off for certain amounts of time, and their on-vs-off time produces an average resistance over time.  Because the on/off happens at such a fast rate, you don't hear it as on/off but as a gradually changing resistance.  Since there are no FETs to match, it is easier to manage a nice sweep.  In principle, you can simply add on another 4016 and quad op-amp to make an 8-stage phaser.

Anyone who wants to design a board for such a thing would be deeply appreciated by many.  Especially if it can accommodate EITHER 4, 8 or 12 stages.  If the board could be divided in some manner such that the user/builder could either have a smaller board and 4 stages, or larger board and more stages, that would be ultra-cool.  E.g., a mother/daughter board arrangement would be interesting, whereby a second board accommodates JUST more phase shift stages, and you run a half dozen lines to it (clock, in, out, gnd, regen, V+) via an edge connector.  A perfect candidate for one of those nifty chassis with the ribbed insides for sliding boards into (ribbed for your pleasure).

Maneco

(ribbed for your pleasure).

:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

puretube

moogatroid2000

Quotefor her pleasure ?
Naw, wear it inside out!!  :lol:
live and learn.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Kleber AGI'm really thinking of building it, but then what could be a good sub for this CD4016 ??? Kleber AG

The 4016 IS drying up, but that is because the 4066 (very common) is EXACTLY the same, but lower "on" resistance.

Kleber AG

Thanks everyone! 8)
Thank you Stephen (always providing cool schems)
Thanks Mark, yeah that board would be nice, anyone?

I'll put this schem in my parts-list to get and build it in the future, then report here, anyway if Stephen's old thread info could have some more interesting aspects to it... but don't worry Stephen that's ok if it's not possible to find it.

Anyone have ever heard/played one of these????????????? :roll:

Kleber AG