drill bit size for my PCB

Started by nathan Dodd, November 19, 2004, 05:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathan Dodd

Last night I ETCHED MY OWN BOARD!!!  8)  8)  8)  now for the next big question:

What size drill bit should I be looking at? A 1mm? 0.5mm? smaller?? I know 1.5 is too big I already tried that one.

Also, the lines I get from the PnP are jagged is this normal? I’ve actually done a search on here and have decided to adjust my technique vastly I’ll wait to see the outcome of doing that before losing m y rag me thinks.

Many thanks in advance,

Nathan.

(I also wish my drill wasn't bigger than my head but low and behold I’m now skintos)

nathan Dodd

gez

0.8mm will see you through for most components (resistors and caps).  I've recently upgraded to using epoxy board and it's less forgiving than the economy stuff so for things like IC sockets I now need a 0.9mm drill.

The only other ones I use are 1mm for (some) trimpots and 1.5mm for wiring (I use thick stuff).
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Dan N

Here in the states small drill bits come in wire sizes. I use #66 which is .0330 of an inch. Anything from #60 to #66 seems to work well.

Hal

anticipating the next question, Mouser and Steve carry these.  I bought the HSS ones from mouser - very moderately priced, and they're still holding up well.  I have no experiance with carbide bits or the ones steve carries.  

The first time i etched a board I waited around for a couple of weeks for my mouser order of bits before i could continue.  For some reason, i thought home depot would have the right size :-X

bwanasonic

I like your expression "losing my rag". I take it "skintos" means broke?

Kerry M

gez

Quote from: Halanticipating the next question, Mouser and Steve carry these

And in the UK, Rapid and ESR... :)
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

nathan Dodd

Kerry M:

Yeah skintos = skint = brassic = lack of coinage = broke :D

loosing my rag... don't know where that one came from but it's an oldie in these parts.

everyone else:

went to RS today - there's a trade counter about 10 mins from me got some 0.8s n they work wonders