Ticking noise from phase 90

Started by Claus H, November 19, 2004, 05:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claus H

I got a problem with some ticking noise from phase 90.. signal flow is guitar --> Phase 90 --> high gain amp

The ticking is bleedthrough from the LFO... it is only audioble when the amp in high gain of course..

Has anybody had this problem before and if so what did you do to combat it..  :)

Claus H
"Ya' know, these days kids seem to be getting younger and younger." â€" David Foster

gez

Is it a home build?  If so could be layout or the way you've done your wiring.  Screened cable can help can solve the problem if it's the latter, or just re-routing your cables so that they don't run across traces/LFO's wires.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Claus H

It's not a home build but a brand new MXR Phase 90..

Claus H
"Ya' know, these days kids seem to be getting younger and younger." â€" David Foster

gez

Are the pots/jack sockets PCB mounted or are there wires?  If wired then follow above advice.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

MartyMart

I had the same problem, but in a vintage "script logo" version, I just changed out all the electro caps and a few ceramics, its much quieter now but still "ticks" a tiny bit.
IMO that shouldn't be the case in a new one ??

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

petemoore

Mine ticks too, perfed, kinda wide board. I don't find it a terribly bothersome thing, like an old spinning vynil waffle, that needs turned over is what it sounds a little like, on fast mode it becomes quickly repetetive sounding and a little more irritating. I just switch it off. More noticable with distortion on / no signal input, which is not a very frequent occurance in my Circumstances.
 The sound is much less wah like compared to My buddies MXR, which sounds a little like a SS on color mode, 'regeneratey'...I prefer a simpler sounding sweepy sound like the DIY 90 does. Actually it's a 'Phibe 90' because of the phase stage cap alterations...a respectable Wobble occurs.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.