Brian May treble boost

Started by mlabbee, November 19, 2004, 12:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlabbee

I whipped one together last night using the stripboard layout (this schem - http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=26901 ) - man, what a sweet little circuit!  Sounds great with my ts clone or just on it's own!  For the trqanny, I used a 2n222A because it's all I had - is it worth tracking down a bc182 (requires killing a lunch hour)?  Has anyone who has tried both the bc182 and a 2n222? If so, was there much of a difference in sound?

mlabbee

Here are a couple of crappy pics of the build.  I need work on my photo skills!  

I had a small box that I had done some finishing experiments with, so I just jammed it in there - no room for a battery, sot it has to be plugged in. No room for a footswitch, so, it's always on (in a switchable loop).  The artwork was some noodling by an artist friend of mine - the paint chips too easily, so we're experimenting with iron ons.

Alpha579

Alex Fiddes

ragtime8922

I heard that all the Rangemaster clones had a problem accepting power pack power. Robert Keeleys site says this as well. His java boost is a variation. Does it really sound that much different? Also, I noticed that you did not use a knob or even a bypass switch. Would you do the same building one of these again?

mlabbee

I haven't noticed any problems using power pack power. As for the enclosure - it was what I had around and I wanted to put the circuit into something so I could play around with it.  to see if I really liked the effect - I could pop it in and out by using a loop pedal I have.

I decided I liked it, but found that it's not such a great loop effect - it really soundfs best put infront of everything, so I moved it over to a larger box today, with a footswitch.