Electronics Companies

Started by ibanezts808, November 19, 2004, 07:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do You Like Radio Shack?

Yes, I Love Radio Shack
4 (20%)
No, I hate them with the passion of a thousand suns, those price gouging bastards.
16 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: November 19, 2004, 07:53:38 PM

ibanezts808

Does anyone know of any electronics companies that do COD's? I'm under 18 with the inability to order online, and well, I hate radio shack, they think all of there stuff is made of gold I guess.
Hi Paul.  Welcome.  We are all Stompboxaholics

I am so cool.

coreybox

Hate and love are pretty extreme, im sure most people are somewhere in the middle. i woudl also say that getting parts at radioshack is better than not having a place to get parts.

KORGULL

You can pay with a ($0.90) money order from the post office.
It's cheaper than the extra charge for a C.O.D that I've seen companies charge.
They won't have to hold your order until it clears like a check.
I've not run into anybody who does not accept them - they are as good as cash.
I've paid all my bills with them for almost 20 years with no problems.

petemoore

...Typical RS shopper murmurs...
 "Ahhh, that one part I simply can't do without, at 8:47,PM".
 "OUCH'$...good thing I only need one!"
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

guitarhacknoise

"You've got questions, We've got answers!" :shock:
I bought a DMM there, It was on clearance-cheap.
 was busy with other stuff and did'nt open up the box till a few weeks later, It had obviously been used by someone for long enough to have a slightly worn appearence, also contained a dead, non-R.S. battery, and two phone cords! I immedietly rang 'em up and asked what the hell was up. "sorry sir, bring it and your reciept and we can give you an IN-STORE CREDIT". WTF!!!!!!!!!! I wan't my money back! no, wait, I want the new model!
sorry sir, but I can't do that. against policy, blah blah.............
"So I guess it's not against policy to sell a used meter as a discontinued model?".......
"Sir, please calm down or I'll have to ask you to leave"
Actually I was fairly reserved considering the F'n I was recieving! At this point I realized that the store was kinda active with shoppers. so I figure I may have some extra leverage in getting my way. We go back and forth with the problem and solution scenario, including my request that they at least send it in and calibrate the thing for me, Which he said he could do as lond as I paid for it, Including postage! Man , at this point I'm finally starting to lose my "cool". I tell him that this is F'd and I'm gonna let every one know! Well the kid decides that he is going to "forcebly eject" my "person"! Keep in mind that I have not yet yelled or even shaken a fist!
As he approaches me I tell him (this is where the yelling begins, and keep in mind I have been In a multitude of hardcore bands over the last 10 years so my yelling ends up being more of a bellow) "If you even Think of touching me, in any manner whatsoever, you might as well go clock out, cuz I'm pretty sure you'll get canned for sleeping on the job!"  to which I added a good hearty "M.F'er"  
Freaked the crap out of the guy and the remainder of shoppers who at this point are all checkin' out the scene.
Figuring now was the time to exit I grab my clapped out Dmm and head out, The shoppers are laughing and clapping!
Man, I can't believe that I let 'em get away with that! Tandy that is. Probably cause I should have checked the thing out before I paid for it, so in reality it's my fault, you know "Buyer beware"
I have since takin' it up with R.S. central, but to no avail.

.......Yeah, I still get stuff there!

-matthias

to the tune of that popular disco song:
........Burn Tandy Burn, cell phone inferno, burn Tandy burn..........
"It'll never work."

ibanezts808

man, that sucks.  I just didn't care for the higher prices, hopefully it's only the one near you that has crappy customer service.
Hi Paul.  Welcome.  We are all Stompboxaholics

I am so cool.

ragtime8922

I hate Radio Shack 3 times per week...LOL. I go there often for odd parts and other supplies. No other company will step up to the plate and become a retail parts dealer. Actually there are a few but they are all one off places, no franchises. Atleast not here in Pennsylvania.

beans_amps

they really do not have very much stuff.  They don't seem to have what I need when I need it.  

The owner of the local store is pretty cool (it is not a franchise store.)  He calls me the guitar man and knows he doesn't have what I want.   He has however exchanged a few dead realistic 'Lifetime Warranty" tubes.

I rarely been into a store that had someone knowledgeable behind the counter.

Sean Weatherford
Bean's Amp Repair
Central, SC
Don't Despair - Call Bean's Amp Repair

zachary vex

i love radio shack at 7:59 pm when i'm out of experimenter's sockets.

Hal

hahahahaha
my radio shack closes at 9:00.  The other not too far from me closes at 9:30....

what are these experimentor's sockets?!?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: beans_ampsI rarely been into a store that had someone knowledgeable behind the counter.

Sean, if anybody was knowledgavble enough to help you (and all the other customers visiting Tandy) then surely they could make more money doing something else. From what I hear it is different it Asia & Europe (but, the same in Australia!!)

analogmike

WOULD YOU LIKE A CELL PHONE with that 25 cent capacitor  :roll:
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

stratotone

Radio Shack is great in an emergency, or if you need a few parts. I guess I'm luckier than most... mouser is so close to me that anything I order from them gets to me the next day ground shipping, and there is a funky old electronics shop here in Tulsa that sells all sorts of hard to find parts.

Now, the old electronics shop will screw you over on transistors and the like, but have damn near any type or size of resistor or cap you'd want, and you can buy them one at a time instead of the RS 5packs. Carbon comps out the wazoo (if you're into that thing: I'm not) and all sorts of weird old parts. Prices are a little higher than mouser, but if I am building something and want the part NOW I'll pay a little more.

Pete