Yeah, another guy wanting to build a tube pedal...

Started by stratotone, November 20, 2004, 01:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stratotone

I've built over 1/2 dozen amps, and have gotten decent at it, at least as far as small stuff (single ended, single channel) goes.

Was thinking about building a preamp, hit Aron's site to order a few more 3pdt switches, and saw that cool EH transformer.

Few questions, if anyone has used em yet:

1) what are you doing about the heater filaments? Is that being taken off the wall wart 12v and dropped?

2) what is the limit of the transformer? will it handle three 12a_7 tubes? I bet you could cram a small output transformer in a 8"x4" or so box, and have a 'mini amp' AND put a line out/load resistor, to get a preamp that has more of an amp sound than just a tube preamp sound, if that makes sense.

I'm thinking of just building a nice clean one tube boost pedal - kinda like a jfet booster, but all tube. If that works then I'll just add a few stages... I'm not real worried about putting a tone stack into a pedal, or at least anything complicated. I just want a nice clean all-tube BOOST at this point.

To save space, for the filter caps I'll likely use a JJ can cap that's 40/20/20/20, and mount it on the inside of the box. Use some G10 to build a hybrid turret board with my tube socket mounted on the G10, and cut a hole in the top of my case for the tube to peek out of. Yeah, it won't have the 'cage' like the EH boxes, but I can live without that.

So anyone build any tube pedals with this transformer? Let's see some pics!

Pete

stratotone

Very cool stuff! How are you supplying the heater voltage? Any gut shots I could gander at for component placement? If you feel like sharing, please email em to okstrat@cox.net  . Thanks!

Pete

RedHouse

You can run the heaters off 12v on a 12AX7 if you hook them up in series, they are 6v when in parallel.
(on most decent tubes, but not all)

stratotone

Quote from: RedHouseYou can run the heaters off 12v on a 12AX7 if you hook them up in series, they are 6v when in parallel.
(on most decent tubes, but not all)

Right, that's what the '12' in 12ax7 means. I'm just used to taking the green wires off a transformer, grounding them to chassis w/100 ohm resistors, and twisting that to the tube filaments. :)

Pete

puretube

Quote from: stratotoneVery cool stuff! How are you supplying the heater voltage? Any gut shots I could gander at for component placement? If you feel like sharing, please email em to okstrat@cox.net  . Thanks!

Pete

Welcome to the forum, Pete!

the easiest way (for me) is to click the "profile" button on this reply, and then, under "total posts", click the "find all posts by puretube"...

since I`ve contributed to almost all tube-related topics, you may find a whole bunch of answers/links inside those threads about tube-pedals
by people who have played around with them...

black mariah

Damn Pete, are you just finding this place? :lol:

puretube

stratotone

Very cool, thanks!

Mariah... first time I've really hit the forums that much. Never see ya post on the JCF anymore... how ya been?

Pete

lightningfingers

Hi Puretube,

1st time i've visited your site, is there any soundclips availible the Tube-Vibe? It would be very interesting to hear one....
U N D E F I N E D

puretube

there used to be one on Harmony-Central, but...  :?: