News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Desoldering

Started by charles489, November 21, 2004, 12:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles489

Is there a way to desolder a part without a pump ? cause there's a brown dot on the weld so i think i have to remove the entire weld

charles489

sorry i mean desold a part

Nasse

Desoldering braid, works well IMHO for repair job

I believe it is best to use not the wide one but narrow one, does not heat the copper tracks too much
  • SUPPORTER

ESPm2M

Use solder wick.  It works really well, especially for small amounts of solder.  All you have to do is place the wick on top of the solder you want to remove and heat it up until it pulls the solder out of the joint, or off of the part, and into the mesh of the wicking material.

ESPm2M

Nasse beat me to it :)

petemoore

Sometimes when the one lead comes up by itself [IC's have 7 others holding it down] I just heat the joint, and try to pull carefully so as not so splash molten solder around.
 May get messy, if careful a new lead can be inserted through the board, into the reheated solder covering the pad. Sometimes it helps after getting the part through, and getting rid of much of the excess solder, [ I grab a glob / clean the tip repeat until there's no big globs ...use desoldering braid they say], touching a small amount of fresh solder can make it look better if it's not looking good.
 I stick my iron in a brickhole, a third hand clamping the board would otherwise make this easier.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mark Hammer

I usually find that flowing some fresh solder over the joint is helpful in improving heat flow throughout the joint.  If I have to remove a chip, whether by solder sucker or braid, I almost always "add" to the the joint these days, before trying to take away from it.

Just bear in mind that heat needs to be applied to the joint, NOT to the component!