Who has experience with "real" Small Stones?

Started by lightningfingers, November 22, 2004, 06:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightningfingers

I got one coming in the next few days, got it off eBay (non-working) for £3.20 :lol:  :lol: . What is most likely to go wrong with them? I know they are filled with solid core wire that breaks at the surface......
U N D E F I N E D

gez

After looking for obvious loose wires etc, just check it through with a multimeter.  Start with power connections.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

MartyMart

EH boxes are notorious for BAD wiring, I've never seen a "well put together" one yet !  so hope its just that !!

Cheers,
Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

petemoore

If it uses electrolytic Capacitors, these dry out after a 'time'.
 I think these are most of the most common things, at least that I can think of.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

lightningfingers

thanks,

I thinks its a late 1970's version (just going on what the seller told me). Don't electro's dry out after 10-15 years? I'm hoping the chips are ok,  do EH use sockets?
If its not too bad i'll clean it up and sell it to the local guitar shop guy he's a sucker for vintage gear  :twisted:
U N D E F I N E D

toneman

no sockets in production units.
i have a Russion SS on the bench if it will help.
Bad connections initally, also.
StayPhazed
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

puretube

got a march`04  latest issue (NYC) version: socketed...

puretube

got a 70`s issue (orange letters): flexible wires... (soldered ICs...)

R.G.

Read GEO.

In this case, the Guitar Effects Debugging Page, which has a section devoted to getting that old neglected pedal running again, and a special mention to what to do for old EH pedals.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

guitarmonky55

surprisingly enough, my grandfather has an original small stone that still works.  almost all of the paint is gone save a small section, but it works just fine.