NEWBY: Question concerning DOD pedals

Started by jason-nj, November 22, 2004, 10:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason-nj

Hello, I am new here and I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but does anyone know if there are any difference between DOD pedals besides the paintjob on pedals like the:

Supra Distortion FX55B / FX55C
Death Metal Distortion FX86 / FX86B
Grunge FX69 / FX69B

Thanks

Jason NJ

petemoore

Quote from: jason-njHello, I am new here and I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but does anyone know if there are any difference between DOD pedals besides the paintjob on pedals like the:

Supra Distortion FX55B / FX55C
Death Metal Distortion FX86 / FX86B
Grunge FX69 / FX69B
  I believe they're all Distortions. I think I tried a "Grunge' once.
Thanks

Jason NJ
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

mrsage

if you're asking about differences in sound, you might be better served at harmony central FX forum:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=29

Mark Hammer

Companies like Microsoft put untold hours into developing products and OS's, and putting them through rigorous testing before release.  Hell, I even have a buddy in Florida who consults with such companies to determine if they are ready to withstand lawsuits under consumer law (http://blackbox.cs.fit.edu/blog/kaner/archives/000124.html).  Still, it seems almost inevitable that products put out by corporate giants, with all the resources to perfect things prior to release, will have patches released for them to plug up some holes in the product and improve compatibility.

When major companies release pedals, they can very often find ways to improve the product after its release.  That improvement may well be to the product's detriment in the eyes of consumers (e.g., the TS-808 -> TS-9 -> TS-7 transition), but it is still an attempt to improve aspects of the product that might improve noise, bandwidth, current consumption, or simply add a feature that provides great return for minimal manufacturing cost.

Some companies over the years have added such features and never told others about them.  In those instances, the product name or number is not changed but we know them by certain landmarks (e.g., "script" MXR boxes, "rams-head" E-H boxes), that help to identify changes to the basic design that are potentially meaningful to the user.  DOD seems to opt for something a little more overt: they identify altered designs by letter-suffixes on the outside of the chassis.

I'm not sure whether this is MORE, or LESS, honest.  On the one hand, no one is sneaking a product past you that is NOT identified as having been modified.  On the other hand, it IS identified as different, and is easily identifiable for consumers seeking to buy one or avoid one.  You can actually phone a music store and ask if they have a 55C in stock as opposed to a 55B.

william

I know the Grunge gx69b and the punkifier use the same pcb.  Those are the only two I've looked into at the moment.  THe parts are diffrent though.  If you look into the fx69b's pcb there are parts not filled in, they are present in the punkifier.