Why does the New Clipper do THAT?

Started by sovtek50, November 22, 2004, 10:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sovtek50

Since I’m very fond of single-pot-designs, the Orange Clipper and the Green Ringer are wonderful,  I went and built the New Clipper. It works and sounds really great with lots of harmonics and even more gain than the Soundclips promised. One thing is strange, though. The pot is for setting the volume, and the amount of gain is supposed to be controlled by the volume pot of the guitar, according to runoffgroove.com. Here’s my problem: when I turn down the guitar volume, the signal collapses, comes back again shortly after, but only sounds muddier than at full setting. Does this sound familiar to somebody, is it my mistake, or is it a general prob with the New Clipper? Any comments appreciated.
A circuit a day keeps the therapist away.

B Tremblay

I haven't ever experienced that problem.  The tone does lose some high end as the guitar volume is turned down, but no more so than when the Clipper is bypassed.  The drop-out in sound is somewhat odd.

This is just off the top of my head, but is it possible that your guitar volume pot is old and has a worn spot?
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

The only thing the guitar pot can affect, is the biasing on the op amp.
Maybe the .047 input cap is leaky? Try replacing it or making it smaller, see if it helps.

sovtek50

Thanks for the quick replies, I love You guys, I do. The things is, as I found out an hour ago, this problem seems to only occur in combination with a high output Pickup (like the Dimarzio on my Chiquita Travel guitar, volume pot is okay). When I played my Danelectro guitar w/ Lipstick PUs thru the New Clipper, everything worked just fine. Strange. However, I'm gonna try a different input cap and see what it does.
A circuit a day keeps the therapist away.