Mark Hammer's "Roseyray" build (kind of)

Started by tungngruv, November 20, 2004, 08:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tungngruv

I just added the second half of Mark Hammers "Roseyray" gain circuit to my  YJM DOD 250 clone. I just perfed the extra parts, then tagged them onto a op amp socket so I could see if it was something I was interested in. It very much is. I love the DOD 250 and this second stage defintely adds a whole new dimension to the sound (even using "close enough" parts I had laying around). I'm putting together a Small Bear order right now although the more I play it, the more tempted I am to just pay an arm and a leg at Radio Shack so I won't have to wait!!! GREAT JOB Mark Hammer!!!!!!!!     :D

Mark Hammer

Thanks for the nod.  Three questions:

1) Are you getting any annoying oscillations/modulation at high gain?  I found this to be a problem, but it may have been unique to my build.

2) How do like the tone control?

3) Have you tried a wah in front of it yet?  If not, do it.

WGTP

I guess I have been using sort of a Mutant RR Lite with the clipping diodes after the first stage and LED's in the loop in the second, but no notch or mixing pot.

Since I started with Blues Breaker, the second stage is inverting and I wonder if that might help the problems you discribe.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

tungngruv

Hey Mark, killer sound! I'm not getting any funky noise out of it at all. Just using a DOD 250 clone, but I re wired the op amp to accept a 4558. Then I put the "Roseyray" recovery circuit (pins 5, 6 and 7 on your schematic) on a small piece of perf, tagged them onto an op amp socket and plugged the chip in the new socket while putting that into the DOD socket. Wow, that was a mouthfull. Then connect 2 wires and ground and it works and sounds amazing! My next project is doing the COMPLETE Roseyray project exactly as on the schematic. I bet it will sound way better than the DOD clone, although the DOD, VOODOO Labs and Roseyray all have a few similarities. One more thing, I subbed a few parts that were "close" ( 100K pot for blend and some resistors were 4.7, not 6.8 ) to what you suggested and it still sounds really good. This ability to fade in between sounds is way cool! Overdrive and distrortion from one pedal!! Once again, GREAT JOB MARK!!!!!!