Thunderchief a tad "Spitty"

Started by LP Hovercraft, November 22, 2004, 02:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LP Hovercraft

Sounds like it should per the ROG sample-IE killer VH, even Cobainesque Crunch.  One anomaly-when muted or barely muted it gates and even spits-I can's really tell if this effects the sustain.  My Brassblaster did this too.  I have biased all four J201's at 4.33V.  I'm wondering if this is normal or do I possibly have a bad JFET?

B Tremblay

What are you using for a power source?
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

LP Hovercraft

A new nine volt Energizer alkaline battery (9.4V) .  I do have the 100mF electro in place on the power rail, too.

B Tremblay

Try adding a 0.1uF cap across the rails in addition to the existing 100uF cap.

Can you provide more information about what makes the gated/spitty sound come and go?
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

LP Hovercraft

It happens only at extremely low dynamics (ie-not playing, but running fingertips along strings-type levels.  Definitely not a huge problem and in fact the "gating" action keeps the box dead quiet under that threshold.  I'm just wondering if this type of thing is indicative of an oversoldered FET?

OT:  BTW you guys ROCK!!  I built a Supreaux for my rhythm guitarist.  He told me that his Gibson SG finally sounds like a Gibson SG.

B Tremblay

Is there any way you could record a clip of this happening?

Does it happen with other guitars?  Does it change depending on the guitar's volume/tone knob settings?

I'm glad your bandmate likes the Supreaux - it's one of my favorites as well.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

LP Hovercraft

I'll try to record one but I don't have the necessary equip.  The spitting goes away when rolling back the highs on the guitar, but not the vol.  I'm not really concerned about the sound of it, more of a reliability issue as far as the JFETs are concerned.  Thanks for all your help!