McMeat Wah-Wah Mod?

Started by ThisBrian, November 22, 2004, 03:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisBrian

About to build a McMeat and I was thinking it would be quite interesting, and probably not too complicated to switch out (w/ a switch, on the fly) the envelope detection circuit in the McMeat with another that would allow for an expression pedal (Roland EV-5) and turn it into a synthy wah (similar to the ZVex Wah Probe with mucho-controls). I thought this would also be a nice addition to the Phaseur Fleur, instead, switching out the LFO. I'm just not sure how this would be done... Any ideas?

moogatroid2000

I did this with my mutron clone, neutron to be exact.
What I did was take wires to the place that drive the LED optocoupler deal, and also wires to where the LDR creates the variable resistance.
I mounted the opto on a piece of perfboard.  The LED side of the wires went to a DPDT switch that selected between the stock mutron circuit and also between a simple opamp driving the LED side using a 100K pot ina  wah shell. Works frickin great. I am sure there are easier ways to do this but I am lucky to put 2 and 2 together, so for it to have worked out was a gas.
If it is like the mutron I suppose you could also just use a dual ganged pot ina wah shell wired to where the variable resistance needs to be to make the filter action.
I can't wait to get on to my meatball clone. That build looks really cool.
I think it is what I was trying to do with my mutron all along. I incoperated EVERY mod for the mutron I could find or think of.  :twisted:
live and learn.

ThisBrian

Ah yes, excellent idea. I was thinking it would be a bit more complicated than that. Still trying to wrap my head around it. Looking at the McMeat it seems to me I should be able to get cut in between the Sweep rotary and Sw2C-1 and Sw2A-2? And could someone give me an example of how to regulate the voltage to the LEDs? I'm guessing that's what you mean moogatroid2000?