News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

UNIVOX FUZZ

Started by brian wenz, November 23, 2004, 04:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
    I'm thinking about finally building a Univox Fuzz in one of it's many variations [Super Fuzz, Kay Fuzztone, Unicord..........not sure which].
What is a good substitute for the original trannys??
Thanks-
Brian.

cd

Any NPN will work just fine.  2N5088, 2N5089, 2N4250, 2N2222, etc.  The transistors are non-critical.

Mark Hammer

And if your tastes run more Japanese, 2SC1815, 2SC828, etc.

Do me a favour and build the Ace-tone FM-2 or the Honey Fuzz.  These are slight variations on the basic Superfuzz circuit.  I'm curious to know what they sound like.

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
    CD- Thanks!
    Mark-- Yeah..... Acetone!!   That's much closer to the SuperFuzz circuit, isn't it??   Where is there a good schematic for that???
HONEY FUZZ!!!???........Is there a schematic for THAT one Floating around???
Brian.

Mark Hammer

There's a site with pictures, schematics, layouts of all these various Superfuzz kissing cousins.   It's driving me crazy but I can't remember where I saw it.  I *think* I may have made a PDF of the web page and may have it at home.  The URL will be at the top.  For now, though, I'm mentally blocked.

If anyone else knows the one I'm thinking of (all the layouts are in color and neatly drawn but the PC masks look like they're handdrawn).

Wait a sec..... FOUND IT!  courtesy of JC Maillet and a link on his site.

http://members.fortunecity.com/uzzfay/home.html

Enough fuzziness there that you'll need to shave with a weed whacker.

brian wenz

Hello Mark--
   Fuzz Gutz!  Yeah, That's a good site. Thanks for tip.
So, what about this Honey Fuzz??   Where's dat at??  Is it another Super Fuzz type circuit?
Brian.

Dan N

The Ace Tone uses silicon diodes. A little harsher and louder. I found it the least in control of the variants. Quite sick.

Funny this (whatever superfuzz circuit) was never made without diodes. Lift the diodes and it gets HUGE! I'm pretty sure someone here (Bill Bergman?) posted this long ago. A 3 way switch for germanium/none/silicon would be a very useful tone shaper.

Sir HC from the harmony central forums posted that he added a decoupling cap to the emitter resistor of the last transistor and got a nice boost.

Have fun Brian!

Doug_H

brian wenz

Hello DAN!--
   I was wondering about those diodes. Somebody mentioned somewhere that the Kay Fuzz wasn't very loud.....maybe that can be fixed!!    Hey, was the Kay Fuzz the Sling Blade fuzz???
Thanks--
Brian.

Dan N

Hi Brian,

The Kay and the 6Tr. fuzz wah fuzzes lack the transistor after the tone stage. You could make it louder as-is, but that last transistor separates the men from the boys.

I have not seen the Sling Blade.

Why am I laughing?

RDV

"I like them franch fried pertaters"

RDV

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
      Doug-- Is there a different copy of Gus' Sick Box schematic anywhere???
 I'm having trouble reading it [sorry Gus!] What op amp did you use in yers??
Thanks-
Brian.

b_rogers

brian have you heard of the univox unidrive?  its supposed to be the "secret" Jimi fuzz. kind of a odd circuit withe the footpedal and rotary volume switch..i have the schemo if you want it...

Brent
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

brian wenz

Hello Brent---
   Yeah, I have heard of it.....I'd like to get the schematic, too!
Thanks-
Brian.

b_rogers

check your pm brian..the link is to the unidrive schemo

Brent
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
Thanks Brent!
Brian.

Doug_H

brian wenz

Hello Hello Doug H---
    Thanks!   When I get some time  [cleaning up after being flooded out....]  I'll try to make a copy of Gus' schematic and then get in touch with you.  Jeez....this makes THREE new fuzzes I've gotta build!
Brian.