Bipolar with a single battery?

Started by SirPoonga, November 24, 2004, 01:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirPoonga

I am looking for a bipolar schematic that uses a single battery.  For bipolar power it seems like all I can find is power supply schematics.  I suppose I take out hte transformer part and replace with battery?  Now, a 9v battery will not produce +/- then?  I figure there's be some lose as the ggg bipolar schematic uses a 12v transformer to output 9v.

moogatroid2000

live and learn.

Gladmarr

you could always put in two batteries, one above ground and one below ground:

SirPoonga

Thanks.
I am going to try and make the HA-1 headphone amp for my bass.  The schematic uses the two battery method.  I would like a wall mount with battery backup circuit instead.

Gladmarr

Quote from: Gladmarr on November 24, 2004, 02:07:25 PM
you could always put in two batteries, one above ground and one below ground:

For the sake of completeness, I realized that picture disappeared a long time ago. In case anyone needs to see it, here it is again:

Mark Hammer

Sometimes, the use of two batteries, or an external supply, is because the circuit requires more current than a single 9v can deliver.

amptramp

The LM380 and LM386 amplifiers automatically centre their output at half the supply voltage so you could use a 9 volt battery and generate a 4.5 volt output with high current capability.  This allows you to have a ±4.5 volt supply from a single 9 volt battery.

Gladmarr

Here's also the ICL7662 (and some other variants) that allow the creation of a negative copy of your input voltage. Moog uses one in the CP-251. These have the added bonus of being able to output a positive voltage that is roughly double your input. So, you could input +9v and get -9v and about 16-17v out of the doubler.

http://www.ece.ualberta.ca/~ee401/parts/data/ICL7662.pdf