The Tube Reamer in action

Started by GreenEye, November 24, 2004, 11:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenEye

Here's a clip of the Tube Reamer reaming my 10 watt Bell PA/guitar head:

http://members.cox.net/jgreen40/HumbleSong1.mp3

mat

Hey !

Very cool sound and playing  :D  Reminds me of the band called 'Kansas' which I like very much.

Thanks for shearing,
mat

Quote from: GreenEyeHere's a clip of the Tube Reamer reaming my 10 watt Bell PA/guitar head:

http://members.cox.net/jgreen40/HumbleSong1.mp3

Fret Wire

Nice tone on that clip. 8)  The Reamer's a pretty versatile pedal for such a simple ckt, eh?
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

nightingale

i've been playing a reamer too~
i leave it on full time, it's my secret weapon these days..
mine has the 1k5/470k resistor mods with 50k pot.  martymart's mods!
never been much of a ts808 guy but i love the reamer..
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

cab42

I just finished my Tube Reamer last night as my second build, and it worked right away. Great sound also. It sounded exactly like on Thin Lizzy's Rosalie through my setup.

I had one problem though. The gain pot had no effect on the sound what so ever. It was like it was turned all the way up no matter the position. Examining the pot I found out that it was the wrong type (A instead of L)

This leads me to this very simple question (appearantly to simple to be found in the FAQ):

I know there are two type of potmeters linear and log, but which of them is A and which is  L?  :oops:

Regards

Carsten
  • SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

MartyMart

I think this is correct, early morning !  er  er hum :
A is Audio or Log pot,  B or L is Linear pot ......if you have only "B" linear pots they will kind of work in any circuit, though we normaly use "A" Log pots for volume and gain etc.
Linear increase equally as you turn the pot, Logarithmic increase is greater at the far end of the pot, a bit like how our ears work, thats why we use them !!

There, you go, If you got all that gibberish, you're a better man than me!

Hey, Nightingale glad you like those little twists to the reamer, great little ROG design !!

Marty :)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Fret Wire

Quote from: cab42
I had one problem though. The gain pot had no effect on the sound what so ever. It was like it was turned all the way up no matter the position. Examining the pot I found out that it was the wrong type (A instead of L)

Don't worry about that too much. Even with the proper 5k Lin. pot, all you'll really hear when you turn up the gain, is the bass response being rolled off. The gain is basically full up.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

B Tremblay

I'm so glad to hear that all of you are enjoying the Tube Reamer!

Regarding the Gain pot, mine definitely has an effect on the dirt level, not just the bass content.  You can hear it in Clips 1 and 2 on the Sounds page.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

benno

Sounds good. I am amazed by that little circuit can produce such a good sound. I am at the moment waiting for the parts to build the TS off GGG which I cant wait for. Then i might try the Tube Reamer.  I dont exactly understand how everything works yet but I am on my way!

Ben

cab42

Quote from: nightingalei've been playing a reamer too~
i leave it on full time, it's my secret weapon these days..
mine has the 1k5/470k resistor mods with 50k pot.  martymart's mods!
never been much of a ts808 guy but i love the reamer..

Is this the mods that are described here?

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=26033

Marty: Thanks for the info regarding pots. When I found out that the A was for audio I figured it out myself.

This is simply a great forum!

Carsten
  • SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

nightingale

yes sir~
those are the mods! the OG circuit was a little to dirty for me. i play through an allready distorted amp[cranked tubes]. i did the martymart mods to mine, and it works perfectly with my other pedals/amp.. i leave both of the pots in the 1:00 position, so it is barely above unity and i get a little of the brightness out of it.. but i get a really cool "tweedy growl" thing going on with open chords. i play with alot of lows, and i use the  reamer to bring back my mids/high end.. it's a cool sound that translates well to my other amps.. [traynors/twins]

welcome to the forum Carsten!
i have learned so much here in the couple years or so i've been around, who would of thought that i would ever enjoy cracking open an op amp data sheet ?
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Fret Wire

Quote from: B Tremblay
Regarding the Gain pot, mine definitely has an effect on the dirt level, not just the bass content.  You can hear it in Clips 1 and 2 on the Sounds page.

Hi Brian :D  I've built several Reamers, and to me, the most noticeable effect with the gain control is the bass rolloff. The gain really only changes the value of the 5k pot, right? I think the bass rolloff tricks the ear to percieve more gain. Much like introducing more mids to an amp, or a log type taper does to the ear. I remember back when Marty built his and noticed the same thing, we started trading ideas on more gain versatility.

Regardless, it's a great little ckt, and IMHO, sounds more lively and transparent than a TS. Many thanks for the ckt, perf layout, and Pablo's (Gringo) excellent pcb layout. 8)
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

B Tremblay

Well, it's a hell of an illusion!  :)

Like you said, it does its job very well.  Maybe a more appropriate label, such as "Crunch," should replace the misnomer "Gain."  "Ream" also has a certain charm as well, but then we're moving into the focus group version of wacky that DOD has used.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com