Super Axis Fuzz

Started by phillip, November 25, 2004, 04:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillip

Since the RM Axis Fuzz has stirred up some popularity here recently, I thought that I'd throw this circuit out there:

-The "Tweak" pot was brought up by members here
-The 10uF capacitor on the "Drive" pot reduces the octave-ness some
-The tone control section was added by John Greene
-The output gain recovery stage is from the Big Muff

Anyone want to try it out and see how it works? ;)

Phillip

brian wenz

Hello Phillip--
    You haven't built it yet??!  Dr. Frankenfuzz's revenge!
I hope the "50K pot" mod that I suggested awhile back doesn't create more problems then solving them.  When I started playing my modded Axis at band practice I noticed that I was plagued with "choice anxiety" and way too much knob twiddling.  In the end I settled for a 22K res in place of the 50K pot!
I'm really interested in building this one.............now I've got about 4 fuzzes on  the backburner  [see other threads....].
Brian.

b_rogers

wow that looks cool! as soon as i get mine biased right i am gonna try this one.  tone controls are good.... :)

Brent
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

phillip

A while back I built it up to the tone control section...the volume pot was wired up right after the tone control.  It worked great, but the output was lower than I liked because of the loss through the tone control section.  I thought about adding the Big Muff's gain recovery stage, but I got distracted with other projects before I could.  Should work though :)

Phillip

Tubebass

Hey Phillip!
 Don't you need a DC path to ground from the emitter of Q1?
More dynamics????? I'm playing as loud as I can!

phillip

Quote from: TubebassHey Phillip!
 Don't you need a DC path to ground from the emitter of Q1?
Well, it's a modified Roger Mayer deisgn and works fine the way it is, so it shouldn't need any other mods to work.  The core of the circuit is the Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz with a tone control section and the Big Muff gain recovery stage added on for more "tweakability" options.

Phillip

brett

Some options that I've played with;
1.  replace 120k and 820k resistors with a 1M. Connect 22uF between V+ and ground. (No tonal change - just saves one resistor)
2.  swap 680k (bias for Q1) to different values (especially lower) for slightly different tones (asymetry)
3.  in the tone section try 2 x 4n7 caps and 2 x 47k resistors for a heavier-than-standard tone (gives mild mid scoop)

Good luck!
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Steben

Is the Axis fuzz "brighter" or "cleaner" than the classic one?
What IS the difference anyway, because it looks quite different (besides the tone control off course)?
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
  Hi Steben!   How do you mean "classic one" ?   Did you mean the difference between original Axis and Phillips' modded circuit?
Brian.

b_rogers

i think he means the rm classic fuzz.  the axis is way fuzzier, louder and brighter. doesnt clean up as well as the germanium classic.

Brent
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
    Oops......yeah, THAT classic!!   The Fuzz Face sort-of.
Brian.

ragtime8922

Phillip, is this one on your site?

petemoore

The Classic
 Re: Roger Mayer Classic Fuzz
 The schematics for these are on Phillips site.
 Usual FF comments, questions and answers should apply...lloooks like FF, sounds like FF, dosn't bias right sometimes like FF, cleans up like FF...hnmm Must Be A FF.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brian wenz

Hello Pete--
    Yeah, carefull not to step in it!
Brian.

petemoore

I love using FF myself..Got one going that 'outraced' the others I built, and it's a super pleasure to play at gigs and jamms etc.
 The Axis I built went on loan, soon after completion, to Bill. It sounded really great through the Boogie of his.
 I need to work the Axis through My 'big' Amp more, to really see what thats all about. IIRC it Was sounding quite P.D.Good.
 I've been leaving a Fuzzer at my friends house, exchanging it every so often, so he gets a chance to try different ones.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

phillip

Quote from: [email]ragtime8922@aol.com[/email]Phillip, is this one on your site?
This particular "Super Axis Fuzz" circuit isn't on my site...yet.  I was working up a project page for the RM Axis Fuzz and thought I'd throw this circuit out and see how it works :)  Nothing like a 4-knob fuzz to get everyone's day started with a bang!

Phillip