Anode voltage control for a tube dist/booster

Started by Hevimies, November 27, 2004, 12:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hevimies

Hi all. I'm making a tube distortion/booster, and I was thinking of making an anode voltage control. I think I'm going to use a 24-volt power supply for the pedal (maximum anode voltage), and a 6 volt regulator for the tube heater. What value pot should I use for it?

The Tone God

Ok 24v is the max. What do you want the min to be ? How much current are you pulling from the B+ ? Apply Ohm's Law then. Better yet use an adjustable voltage regulator (LM317 or the like). Then you get nice clean power.

To be honest I don't think having an adjustable B+ voltage at that voltage level will do all that much but don't let me stop you. :)

Andrew

Hevimies

I got this project from a guitar magazine, and they first tried it with 6 volts, and then twelve volts, and they said that difference was pretty clear. And they also said that when a regulator is used, you can use 24 volts or even more as a B+. That's why I want to try it...  :D
The min value should be at somewhere around eight volts. Lower doesn't hurt...
I checked my local component shop. They have LM317s, 1,2 V to 37 V. I think I'm going to use it... I could get an EHX tube FX 40 volts power supply (or similar) and try with it. Possibly. If I can get one cheap.
Thanks for advice!