Build report - ROG Little Gem MKII amp

Started by RLBJR65, November 27, 2004, 07:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLBJR65

http://www.runoffgroove.com/littlegem.html

Well kind of, I used the buffer and volume controll from the Ruby instead of the original setup and added a couple of 220mF caps to the speaker outs.

WOW! it ROCKS!

I thought there would be a lot of distortion with the 10mF caps across the gain pins setting the IC's at their maximum gain level. I was pleasantly surprised, it has a subtle tube-ish distortion that cleans up nicely by turning the guitar volume down a bit.

Now I want to add a fetzer for for a pre amp. Anyone have any simple tone control sugestions? I don't want to get to carried away it's just a practice amp after all.
Richard Boop

David

Quote from: RLBJR65Anyone have any simple tone control sugestions? I don't want to get to carried away it's just a practice amp after all.

Yup.  The "improved" tone control on the Whisker Biscuit.

Paul Marossy

Why not get carried away with a practice amp? If it sounds good, why not?  That's better than thinking "Man, this sounds like____" while you're playing... :wink:

RLBJR65

David I've heard good things about that tone section, but have never tried it, have to check it out sure looks simple enough. How are the Mid tones?

Paul, cause if I get to carried away it will never get completed, there will always be something else that needs added or tweaked and it will just sit on the bench. Really it sounds pretty darn good as is and I want to build it again on a RadioShack Grid-Style PC Board, part number 278-150. There is plenty of room if I don't get to crazy.

The Fetzer is amazing it's so simple and sounds so good! I figured the Fetzer and a little tone controll is all I'm gonna need to make me very happy :D  

I have slowly been collecting parts for a small tube amp, thats when I'll probably get carried away :wink:

Thank's guys when I get finished I'll draw it up and post, maybe attempt a perf layout and sound clips too.
Richard Boop

David

Quote from: RLBJR65David I've heard good things about that tone section, but have never tried it, have to check it out sure looks simple enough. How are the Mid tones?

Sorry, RLB, don't know.  Haven't tried it yet.  I won't know for a while.  I plan to do a Whisker Biscuit or a Rocket eventually, but I have a few more builds to do first.  I'm finishing up a Smash Drive with 3 band EQ to give my drummer some scooped mids for a while (last perf build maybe  :?: ), and a Flatline (first PCB  :!: Happy retirement, DOD compressor!).  After that are Jack Orman's MOSFET boost (happy retirement, DOD graphic EQ! ), a Bespeco Weeper connected to Doug Hammond's wah circuit, a Zombie Chorus with Hammer's Badge mod (bye, Boss BF-2!) and an Easy Vibe.

Paul Marossy

Quotecause if I get to carried away it will never get completed, there will always be something else that needs added or tweaked and it will just sit on the bench

Ahh... the incurable tweaker, eh?  :wink: